Scanner problems

Story: Getting a Scanner to work in LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Nov 05, 2009
3:40 AM EDT
That brings back memories. I had the same problem with my HP LaserJet m1120n all-in-one. Apparently the drivers are closed source. hp-setup can downoad and install them but not on the old hplip version that Lenny is shipping. I had to install hplip from Sid and then run hp-setup to get everything working.

Not a happy camper.
softwarejanitor

Nov 05, 2009
12:23 PM EDT
I bought an Epson USB scanner several years ago and it has always just worked... plug it in and run kooka and it finds it with no problem...
flufferbeer

Nov 05, 2009
9:28 PM EDT
@Sander IIRC, this whole drivers' issue gets back to the past problems of getting HP printers' (with their drivers) to work in Linux. Cannot remember now....I think it was tuxchick who wrote something about this the last year or two here? -fb
gus3

Nov 06, 2009
12:24 AM EDT
I doubt it was me, but I did have trouble a couple years ago with Mom's HP 3-in-1. Of course, I'm the one who suggested she buy it, so it fell to me to make it work right. What finally solved it was ditching the (by then) ancient Fedora and getting a version with current updates. No suggestion of trouble ever since.
tuxchick

Nov 06, 2009
11:58 AM EDT
I have an old Epson flatbed scanner that works painlessly in Linux. My gripe is HP's attitude, and the perennial puzzler of why do hardware vendors invest resources in writing silly custom management tools that don't work right and aren't documented, instead of working on proper integration with Linux? Plug the ess oh bee into CUPS and SANE and call it a day, sheesh. Just like they always whine about "Linux is too hard to support because there are too many Linuxes!" But they have no problem with writing useless custom Windows drivers of all kinds when it's not even necessary.
caitlyn

Nov 06, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
I've actually had really good luck with HP scanners just working without issue under Linux. Maybe I've just been lucky enough not to run into any problematic models.

I do have an HP Laserjet 1020 printer than requires proprietary firmware. Most distros nowadays have drivers that auto-download the firmware as part of the setup process and that printer just works too. My old Epson Stylus C66 color laserjet also just works.

I setup HP scanners and printers all the time for customers. They're very popular and almost always, in terms of Linux setup, completely problem free.
gus3

Nov 06, 2009
12:29 PM EDT
@TC:

My mother's HP scan uses SANE, and XSane for the front-end. The custom programs that are user-visible are for enhanced functions, like ink level monitoring. Heck, the CUPS PPD even supports head-cleaning.
softwarejanitor

Nov 09, 2009
2:54 PM EDT
FWIW, the scanner I have is an Epson Perfection 1250.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!