Matches my experience, excellent piece

Story: Linux - T + 180 daysTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 26, 2009
3:34 PM EDT
First, I want to pay a compliment to Ken. I've critiqued his writing style in the past, sometimes fairly harshly. This piece was truly excellent. It's well written. It doesn't preach or proselytize. It presents the facts, positive and negative, in a fair way and makes it's point well. Kudos to Ken/Helios. This, IMHO, is EXACTLY the way to promote Linux, with the unvarnished truth presented clearly.

Ken's experience, on the overall, matches mine when it comes to introducing newcomers to Linux. There are some issues remaining when it comes to migrating to and from Windows documents. I haven't had much in the way of problems mixing GNOME and KDE apps on systems like I did years ago. If I install both desktops in the entirety I get some duplicate icons and certainly duplicate functionality, but I've had no problems with the libraries plus some favorite apps. k3b is a must have for me, for example.

Like Ken I don't own an iPod. Check if she has tried gpodder or gtkpod. I've heard good things about both of those but I have no personal experience.

I haven't had the graphics issues Ken describes but I wonder if those are with Compiz Fusion enabled. I tend to turn that off and then things are just fine. I also don't run Mint or SuperOS (nothing against them, just haven't tried them) so it might just could be something distro specific. I honestly don't know.

I wonder, if Ubuntu Karmic is as solid and stable as it appears it's going to be, if that might become the distro of choice for well equipped machines.

Anyway, again, good job all around, both in working with the people involved and in writing it up.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 26, 2009
3:36 PM EDT
Good work, Ken.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 26, 2009
8:39 PM EDT
I have seen the graphic issue with the fading screen, but it's not really an issue. What happens is this. The desktop effects system will fade the screen to black when it detects it is unresponsive, for example when starting an application. Without the desktop effects you would get a rotating throbber or hourglass for a mouse cursor instead. The fading action itself does generate some load, but not much (depending on graphics hardware of course).

The easiest fix is simply to install the advanced effects manager and turn off the fading.
hkwint

Oct 27, 2009
6:46 PM EDT
And I still wonder what the problem with a heterogeneous KDE/Gnome environment is. Sure, there's some overhead on the HD, but unless you're an optimization freak, who cares? And maybe Gnome apps are not good at working together with KDE apps and vice versa, but freedesktop.org is solving some of those problems.

Here it works out quite alright: Mozilla apps (only Firefox currently, but also Thunderbird / Miro in the past), Gnome apps (mainly Gimp and Miro), KDE apps (full KE4, but not as window manager) and Windowmaker. And of course OpenOffice. Not much problems.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 27, 2009
6:57 PM EDT
I've never had a problem installing or running KDE apps on Debian.
softwarejanitor

Oct 28, 2009
1:11 PM EDT
@Sander_Marechal I've never had trouble running KDE apps on Ubuntu or Gnome apps on Kubuntu either...
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 29, 2009
2:55 PM EDT
I'm becoming more and more comfortable all the time running the few KDE apps I need in GNOME. Sure a lot of libraries are required, but the system is running great, and the KDE apps aren't slowing anything down (and I have very old hardware).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!