Big software

Story: Big Software has duped us for decades – Part ITotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Oct 24, 2009
5:33 AM EDT
Interesting article. Interesting comments too. I know we have a few CTO's and SysAdmins among the regulars. Does this article ring true?

One of my personal stances has always been "don't trust a software vendor that cannot tell you up-front how much it costs". That is, a software company that doesn't list it's prices on the website but just an "ask for a quote" link. After my recent article on Open Core I have come across a few open core companies that do the same, like Pentaho.

Such tactics always make me feel like they're trying to get as much money out of me as possible. It's not about how much the software costs but about how much I can afford.
gus3

Oct 24, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
It rings true for "Joe-Average" me, although I won't take issue with "ask for a quote." If some small or medium-sized business wants me to install software and get it up and running, I'll definitely want to take a look around first, to see what I'm getting myself into.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 24, 2009
12:03 PM EDT
Gus, even then you can list that you charge X per user per year for a license and Y per user or per hour for implementation and support, volume discounts available.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!