@Ken Hess..... No

Story: Is Microsoft the Newest Free Software Advocate?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 30, 2009
7:16 PM EDT
Quoting: Is Microsoft the Newest Free Software Advocate?

No. Emphatically No!

To begin with their Anti Virus software isn't Free. It's not even Open Source. And.... any system that depends on Anti Virus for security is broken by definition.

Microsoft's foray into Open Source is also not about Free Software. it's about software that has the Source code available, the software won't be Free as it will have non Free dependencies.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 30, 2009
7:26 PM EDT
What shocks me about MS's anti-virus efforts...

If they know enough about what's being exploited to make anti-virus software, they could, well, FIX THE PROBLEM in Windows.

But NoooOOOOoooo!
flufferbeer

Sep 30, 2009
8:02 PM EDT
@tracyanne and Bob_Robertson, I don't get it; is Ken Hess censoring or filtering out comments like yours at his DaniWeb site, such as tuxchick is claimed to be doing for her Mark-Shuttleworth-is-a-Sexist blog?? Your comments are useful! I'd agree with both of you on Micro$haft's shady anti-virus software and their ignoring or their double-speaking away Winblow$ end-users. 2c
tracyanne

Sep 30, 2009
8:28 PM EDT
@fluffer No, I just can't be bothered registering with DaniWebb, it's too much of a bother, I have to turn of NoScript, and I get all these ads. I just can't be bothered.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 30, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
Fluff,

I've no interest in registering, and there seem to be no comments on the entry anyway.

The more I see of Daniweb, the more it look like Geocities without the cool files.
softwarejanitor

Sep 30, 2009
8:44 PM EDT
Not only no, but HELL NO. Can I say that here? Well, anyway... Microsoft is not only not a free software advocate they are still actively working against it on every level they can, regardless of what they say.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 30, 2009
10:21 PM EDT
Please keep the curse words to a minimum pretty please. :-)
qcimushroom

Sep 30, 2009
10:21 PM EDT
I would equate Microsoft giving away free Anti Virus software to

a heroin pusher giving away free needles.

They will do almost anything to keep the users hooked!
techiem2

Oct 01, 2009
11:47 AM EDT
Is this even surprising? They've had anti-spyware pushed through for quite a while now. AntiVirus was just the next logical step.

Of course, this can't make the security vendors much happier...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!