Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2009
3:08 AM EDT
More wasted electrons from Ken Hess.
caitlyn

Sep 18, 2009
3:20 AM EDT
So, he's encouraging the worst behavior in the tech community. Why do we even waste our time reading his nonsense?
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2009
3:38 AM EDT
I did warn you
rijelkentaurus

Sep 18, 2009
7:00 AM EDT
I read it as rather satirical, sorry, found it quite funny. Not that familiar with Mr. Hess, that must make a difference.
flufferbeer

Sep 18, 2009
7:25 AM EDT
@tracyanne You've gotta admit that Ken Hess's story headlines are sensationalist, maybe even a bit tabloidy. With a title of Please Reinstate the OS Wars , that's just gotta grab SOMEONE'S attention, yes?
TxtEdMacs

Sep 18, 2009
7:54 AM EDT
flubber...,

Quoting:... that's just gotta grab SOMEONE'S attention, yes?
Well, actually NO. I assiduously avoid* reading anything with a Ken Hess byline.

YBT

* "A Mouse Click is a terrible thing to waste."
techiem2

Sep 18, 2009
10:02 AM EDT
I saw the headline, thought "I didn't realize the OS Wars had stopped", and moved on.
tuxchick

Sep 18, 2009
10:15 AM EDT
What's weird is Ken is pretty knowledgeable, which I found out by accident from listening to the Frugal Friday podcast with Jason Perlow. It's a bit hard to listen to because the voices are unbalanced, one loud and one soft, and they often have a slow boring stream-of-consciousness start before finally moseying into the good stuff. (Hint: scripts and editing are good things.) He also writes for some online publications and turns out some decent stuff. But none of that shows up on the daniweb blog.
flufferbeer

Sep 18, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
@tuxchick, Maybe Ken IS pretty knowledgeable and DOES turn out some decent stuff on frugal friday, but why does he keep resorting to this sensationalism ?? His titles are much too similar to the kind of titles Roy Schestowitz uses in his Boycott Novell blog, and we can see where THAT's gone (the latter!!) My own suggestion (of minimal weight here) is that Ken Hess ought to delve into REALLY learning and using various Linux distros hands-on --- and WITHOUT visceral reliance on the other more mainstream Linux-distro or OS-comparison reviews. Just my 4c here. Could Ken be reading this?? fb
azerthoth

Sep 18, 2009
1:38 PM EDT
I know he used to read here, however after getting roundly repeatedly flamed ... who knows. If he does, it's fairly obvious that he disregards us as cranks. Which is odd, because from all of the other odd sites I read, this one is more likely to have an intelligent debate. Unlike many of the other sites where the only qualification is having an opinion, here if you cant debate your opinion intelligently and factually, you will be called on it and expected to answer for it.

Sensationalism be [beeped], give us some facts to work with. Thats why I like it here.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 18, 2009
7:56 PM EDT
I read the original article, and now I feel pain ...
hkwint

Sep 18, 2009
8:49 PM EDT
Quoting:What's weird is Ken is pretty knowledgeable

What's also weird:

Last week Ken told in his article not to care about Linux anymore, because the future was in the cloud. He stated the desktop wars were over - forever.
caitlyn

Sep 19, 2009
12:02 AM EDT
@hkwint: Your mistake was to ascribe real meaning to Ken Hess' words and assume what he wrote last week actually might have some bearing on reality this week. Clearly not.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 19, 2009
9:54 AM EDT
caitlyn & Hans,

Quoting:... Your mistake was to ascribe real meaning to Ken Hess' words ...
I disagree, since it's better said:
Quoting:... Your mistake was ... [reading] Ken Hess' words ...
YBT

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!