Reality is worse here

Story: Fullscreen flash video in GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
hkwint

Aug 24, 2009
11:34 AM EDT
When I try to view Youtube fullscreen, Firefox hangs, doesn't restart, and only "killall -9" solves the problem. It's sad to see Firefox can't handle this error on its own, and becomes so unresponsive 'killing' is the only way to handle the problem.

This is definitely a FF problem, because it just works in Opera (whether they hacked around the bad Youtube-player or not, it just works).
herzeleid

Aug 24, 2009
12:19 PM EDT
How odd - I haven't seen that sort of behavior on youtube for some time, though I used to have a lot of problems on youtube with FF2. Nowdays the only thing that firefox seems to have trouble with is java apps.

Seriously, go upload some pictures to facebook. My browser gets hammered and is unresponsive for several minutes, while a simple java file selector app loads. So I'm thinking, "you gotta be kidding me. All this thrashing and delay for a simple file uploader app?" (which is completely superfluous BTW as browsers have had standard, built-in mechanisms for uploading files to websites for some years now.) No wonder people hate java.
hkwint

Aug 24, 2009
12:43 PM EDT
Quoting:How odd - I haven't seen that sort of behavior on youtube for some time

It only occurs with the 'deadly' combination of -Youtube (Vimeo works fine, like the article suggests) -Nvidia proprietary driver, -Adobe flash with hardware acceleration (if you turn of hwacceleration, problem doesn't occur) -Firefox (Opera / Konqueror work fine) -glibc, it might be possible it doesn't occur with other libC (but I have not been able to test, this is just a wild guess)

Distribution doesn't matter either - only openSuse seems to have fixed the problem I understand.

The good news is, it seems 'my' problem (firefox hangs on fullscreen) is fixed in 3.5.3-pre nightly build, though I haven't tested it as of yet.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=493541
herzeleid

Aug 24, 2009
2:27 PM EDT
I can't seem to make the problem happen here on ubuntu 8.10 32 bit, using either ff-3.0 of ff-3.6a - I have an nvidia card (lspci: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7300 GS] (rev a1)), I'm using the nvidia driver (180.11-0ubuntu1~intrepid1) and hardware acceleration is enabled in flash (10.0.32.18-1intrepid1) and of course I've got glibc...
azerthoth

Aug 24, 2009
3:10 PM EDT
hkwint, I have none of the issues you seem to be having, FF 3.5.2-r11, adobe-flash 10.0.32.18, nvidia-drivers 185.18.31 on i686. I have seen the FB issue, so if I want to load pics, I switch to konq for that and it works fine. Perhaps there is something in the arch?
hkwint

Aug 25, 2009
3:17 AM EDT
Maybe because I'm running nvidia-drivers-173.xxxxxxx, I'm not sure.

Will try to update soon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!