great work, ken!

Story: A Day of DiscoveryTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 04, 2009
12:18 PM EDT
Congratulations on a successful Linux Against Poverty event, Ken, and especially for inspiring other people to consider hosting similar events. If the FOSS world spent one-hundredth of the energy on actually doing useful things that is wasted on idiotic arguments, the world would be a measurably better place.
azerthoth

Aug 04, 2009
2:44 PM EDT
... she says while brandishing her large pot stirring stick.
penguinista99

Aug 04, 2009
7:40 PM EDT
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Starks at the Linux Against Poverty event last Saturday. My wife and I brought by a couple computers and a few hardware pieces that were on the current needs list of his website. We have been reading his blog for years and to me, meeting Ken was almost like meeting someone famous. He can get a bit fiery in his blogs and I really didn't know what to expect in a face to face meeting.

I have never met a nicer, more self-effacing and gracious man. He looks just like his pictures and I believe it took him by surprise when my wife asked him for his autograph. These people did some amazing work that day and as we watched, we were kind of surprised at the amount of women pulling their share of the load. I guess Austin didn't get the memo that the Linux Geek's club was boys only. That's the impression many people have anyway. The whole thing had an air of professionalism that other install fests we have attended lacked noticeably. I know they run their operation on a shoestring so I sent a little something along and I hope others support them as well.

This is a great website and I am glad Ken recommended it. It sure beats Digg. I read my Linux news before anything else. He stated the community that remarks on the stories is far more entertaining than the stories themselves. I think we will stick around and see for ourselves. Oh, and why should I beware of "Dino track". What is a "Dino track"?

Michael and Paula Jacobson Austin Texas
softwarejanitor

Aug 04, 2009
7:45 PM EDT
@penguinista99 I had to miss the event because I was out of town... I've been wanting to meet Ken for a while but have not had the opportunity. Seems like something always comes up.
theboomboomcars

Aug 04, 2009
11:25 PM EDT
siftwarejanitor make the opportunity and then take it. He is a great man, and every bit as entertaining in person as he is on his blog. It's probably even better if you get the opportunity if you get to get in the trenches with him. The couple of days we were in TX didn't overlap any events, and we could only spare a few hours for our journey from San Antonio.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 05, 2009
4:41 AM EDT
@penguinista99: Dinotrac is one of the old hats around here. You'll run into him :-)
softwarejanitor

Aug 05, 2009
11:34 AM EDT
@theboomboomcars I know that Ken is a busy person and I don't want to interfere with anything he's got going on. I can wait until the right opportunity comes along. Austin is a small enough town that I'm sure I'll run into him evenetually.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!