That's odd -

Story: Intel Linux Graphics On Ubuntu Still FlakyTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
herzeleid

Jul 31, 2009
3:35 PM EDT
The intel video performance on 9.10 a3 has been stellar here. I've never seen the video running so smoothly and so fast on this machine (compiz cube and effects), while it was pretty much unusable in 9.04.

There may be something to the stability complaints though - the video bailed on me when I tried to play the penumbra games, leaving me with a black screen which I could only fix by switching to a tty and killing the game.

Hopefully it will stabilize before final release.
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
12:20 PM EDT
It's still borked on an Intel 945GM graphics chipset. Yes, with UXA performance is better but the system is unstable as you've discovered. Sometimes you can't break out at all. Also, with 3D graphics animation enabled I still get horizontal lines across newly opened windows for a second or two. It's better that Jaunty (which was unusable) but it is still far from right.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 05, 2009
1:46 PM EDT
I have the Intel 82830 CGC chip, and finally figured out the xorg.conf magic to make it work in Ubuntu 9.04.

Between the Xorg developers doing what they did to Intel users, all the problems Nvidia uses have, I wonder just which video chipsets Xorg is actually taking good care of ...
Sander_Marechal

Aug 05, 2009
3:33 PM EDT
ATI? It has improved a lot apparently. I have a Radeon HD 4830 (with binary drivers I admit) and it works fine.
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
4:44 PM EDT
Trident. OK, I'm talking older chipsets as Trident's graphics division was acquired by XPI in 2003. Having said that, the Trident drivers definitely work :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!