credit for persistence

Story: It's official: Microsoft-Yahoo ink 10-year search pact; Regulator scrum beginsTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 29, 2009
1:04 PM EDT
Gotta give MS credit for sheer stubborness, they've been trying, and failing, to make it with Internet search for years. And why not, not only all that fat ad money, but all that priceless succulent user data to collect, mine, and trade like a commodity.
techiem2

Jul 29, 2009
1:09 PM EDT
So is this the Embrace step or the Embrace and Extend steps? :P
tuxchick

Jul 29, 2009
1:18 PM EDT
This is the Exploit and Enrich steps.
gus3

Jul 29, 2009
2:22 PM EDT
Unintentionally factual lede:

Quoting:Microsoft Corp. has finally roped Yahoo Inc. into an Internet search partnership, capping a convoluted pursuit that dragged on for years and setting the stage for them to make a joint assault against the dominance of Google Inc.
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090729/ap_on_hi_te/us_micros...
hkwint

Jul 29, 2009
4:26 PM EDT
With Live, they admitted MSN search failed. With Bing, they admitted Live failed. With Yahoo, they admitted that Bing was not enough, and might have failed too.

All that mismanagement paid by Windows and Office licenses, sure nice to know.
vainrveenr

Jul 29, 2009
4:47 PM EDT
Yes, and the ending paragraphs of the Yahoo!Tech piece just brought above is as follows:
Quoting:Microsoft is doubling down on Internet search at the same time Google is attacking Microsoft's bread-and-butter business of software for personal computers.

Google is working on a free operating system for inexpensive PCs in a move that could threaten Microsoft's Windows franchise. If it gains traction, Google's alternative, called Chrome OS, could divert revenue from Microsoft while the software maker is trying to grab more money pouring into search advertising.

Chrome OS isn't supposed to hit the market until the second half of next year. That means Microsoft could get a head start on Google in the duel to steal each other's financial thunder.
THIS then (Google's Chrome OS) could very well have been one of the major factors pushing Microsoft to finalize the search pact with Yahoo. Indeed, today's Newsweek Business/Tech piece 'Does the Microsoft-Yahoo Deal Matter?' similarly speculates that the real fight to watch will be between Microsoft and Google; see http://www.newsweek.com/id/209294

No big news here to those closely following these two companies at LXer or at other fine Linux news sites.

What may be more interesting (to some) is the speculation of Yahoo's future following their deal with Microsoft, especially comparing Yahoo's fate to that of AOL's. See, for example, one of Dignan's other pieces, 'With Microsoft search deal Yahoo risks becoming AOL' found at http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=21862

Longtime LXer readers will no doubt recall one of the last big AOL-related posts, 'AOL Data Spill Threatens AOLusers With Extinction', linked via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/66882 almost exactly three years ago. One of the LXer commentators to this piece wrote
Quoting:I for one am in complete agreement with Don, [AOL] taken out back and shot.

Hey I love my neighbor, but not the one selling my identity to the highest bidder.

---

So now Yahoo in place of AOL will essentially be selling their users' identities to Microsoft?? Ouch!!

techiem2

Jul 29, 2009
5:10 PM EDT
Quoting:So now Yahoo in place of AOL will essentially be selling their users' identities to Microsoft?? Ouch!!

Aww come on. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

After all, they said:

Quoting:Microsoft and Yahoo also say that they won’t swap customer data except for the “minimum necessary.”

And MS would NEVER EVER breech their customers' trust, would they?

Alterax

Jul 30, 2009
3:52 AM EDT
In short, it's actually really funny. Microsoft's Bing engine is so good that they had to buy an established user base.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 30, 2009
4:37 AM EDT
If this were Slashdot I'd rate Alterax's comment as "+5 insightful" :-)
tracyanne

Jul 30, 2009
6:42 AM EDT
They promote it heavily on Channel 9 over here, well the Channel 9 website is NineMSN, so It's not at all surprising.
tracyanne

Jul 30, 2009
7:01 AM EDT
I found this at http://midnight-freak.blogspot.com/2009/01/screensaver-pictu...

"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire"
theboomboomcars

Jul 30, 2009
9:27 AM EDT
Quoting:"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire"

I disagree with this, Windows only comes with a couple of different solitare games, where as Linux has significantly more. Sure you can buy more for Windows, but that kinda defeats the purpose right?
bigg

Jul 30, 2009
9:31 AM EDT
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for keystroke loggers"
gus3

Jul 30, 2009
10:20 AM EDT
Maybe the Bingers are hoping for success along Howard Aiken's philosophy:

Quoting:Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
The only catch here is that Microsoft doesn't understand (or just doesn't care about) the "good ideas" part.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!