good catch by Andy Updegrove

Story: Parsing the Microsoft - EU Interoperability CommitmentTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 27, 2009
10:40 PM EDT
Everyone is all going on about browsers, but Andy Updegrove digs a bit into the real meat of this, which is interop and document formats. Excellent analysis as always. Who cares about browsers, that's a meaningless sideshow started by Netscape back when they were dying and desperate, and they managed to make that a primary issue with the US DOJ investigation, rather than the many significant anti-trust issues the DOJ could have explored.
dinotrac

Jul 28, 2009
5:59 AM EDT
Antitrust. GRRRRRR!!!!

I've never believed that the Clinton administration actually wanted to take Microsoft to court given all of the real issues that they could have pursued -- like prohibitions against VARs allowing dual-boot, which played a hand in killing BeOS.

They had offered an earlier sweetheart deal that got bounced out of court and had the (I believe) misfortune to prosecute their case before an honest judge who understood the issues while Microsoft behaved badly at trial.

Wait -- must let old rants die.......
TxtEdMacs

Jul 28, 2009
8:18 AM EDT
dino,

You old fossil, never ... never let old rants die. How are we to know it really is you foaming at the mouth? We have so many others that play the role badly. So old buddy, never give up! That is, Never Give UP. For Crown & Country* you should perish that thought immediately.

YBT

* You remember, that restaurant we were planning on opening?
gus3

Jul 28, 2009
8:43 AM EDT
Quoting:prosecute their case before an honest judge who understood the issues while Microsoft behaved badly at trial.
After watching the SCO train wreck over the last 6+ years, I'd say the odds of that are slim to none.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090727112704743

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!