a good lesson in keyboard traps

Story: Does Linux Have a 'Safe Mode'?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 27, 2009
9:55 PM EDT
A computer keyboard is asked to do an awful lot with only 105 keys. It has to enter both data and commands, and the commands vary according to individual applications, system commands, and shell commands. It's a lot to ask of a relic of the typewriter age. And you still can't get asterisks and quotation marks to render reliably, or consistent copy-and-paste behavior. I've been experimenting with using the "windows" key as an extra meta-key and doing some custom keymappings because I like to stay on the keyboard as much as possible. Haven't decided yet if it's going to help because retraining the left pinky is an uphill job :)

ZaReason sells an excellent keyboard with a Tux key, and various vendors sell little Tux stickers to cover the Windows key.
gus3

Jul 27, 2009
11:45 PM EDT
I would argue that it's no more complex than spoken language. The interpretation depends on the context. The difference between

$ echo "ls -lR /"

and

$ ls -lR /

is no greater than the difference between "He said he went to the fair" and "He went to the fair".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!