Commercial games for Linux, for a rational price.

Story: Are You Afraid...? You Will Be...Total Replies: 15
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jul 17, 2009
8:59 AM EDT
This Penumbra, for $5, not a bad deal at all.

Even if I end up not liking it, at least I didn't have to shell out $45 to find out!

This is how musicians could make money without the RIAA.
jacog

Jul 17, 2009
9:15 AM EDT
Contrary to popular belief it IS actually possible to develop games that can compile on multiple platforms without much per-system tweaking. This is assuming you use a game engine that already takes care of all the cross platform quirks.

This is why it would be nice to have a mainstream big name console running on a FOSS platform with a native game engine that's also entirely FOSS. Then these companies have no excuse not to release their software with multiple binaries. The whole "packaging is such a pain" excuse is also lame. Too many lame excuses all-round really.
techiem2

Jul 17, 2009
2:54 PM EDT
Yeah, I'm gonna grab it just to show my support. Though it's not really the genre I typically play.

While I think most of us would agree that ideally everything would be FOSS, I think most of us would also agree that currently the commercial gaming issue is a deterrent to many could-be-FOSS users. As I've mentioned before I have a Windows install on my laptop that I boot up specifically for some games.

If we could get more commercial game companies to support Linux, that helps take away the "there are no games for Linux" argument (which is invalid anyway, but we all know they really mean "the most popular current games don't run on Linux").

If the big game companies start supporting Linux, that could put pressure on the hardware manufacturers (video cards, sound cards, etc.) to support Linux driver development more.

Which in turn could help increase FOSS adoption even more.

"Dude! I can build this sweet new gaming rig and buy even better parts because I can install Linux on it to run all my games instead of spending $300 on Windows for it! And it won't crash all the time or get infected!"

So theoretically: Game companies sell more games, Hardware companies sell more higher end stuff, Gamers are thrilled that they have a better system (hardware and software wise) to play their games on, Linux support for current-generation hardware increases (thus decreasing the other argument about Linux not working with anything new).

Everybody wins! (well, except Microsoft, but that's OK)
Bob_Robertson

Jul 17, 2009
2:57 PM EDT
> Yeah, I'm gonna grab it just to show my support.

That makes two of us. 935MB, that's one heck of an install shell!

935899676 2009-07-17 09:12 PenumbraCollection-1.0.sh
theboomboomcars

Jul 17, 2009
3:44 PM EDT
I got it as well. I have never been interested in this type of game, but who knows maybe it will be fun.

jacog

Jul 17, 2009
4:04 PM EDT
What the heck ever happened to the rumoured Steam+games porting effort?
herzeleid

Jul 17, 2009
4:09 PM EDT
Alright, I've bought a copy - no idea whether I'll like it, but for 5 bucks you can't go wrong.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 17, 2009
4:21 PM EDT
Bought it. I'm downloading as I'm writing this.

@Bob. 935MB doesn't scare me. But a 935MB shell script does!
theboomboomcars

Jul 17, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
I hope my file is okay, it is only 892.5MB.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 17, 2009
4:37 PM EDT
The 1000 decimal vs 1024 binary mathematics shortcuts strike again.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 17, 2009
4:37 PM EDT
@boomboom: That's correct. It's 935 MB or 892 MiB.

Edit: The really nasty thing is that it's *just* too big for a CD. I wish they had used a slightly more aggressive compression method so it would come in under 800 MiB.
softwarejanitor

Jul 17, 2009
5:06 PM EDT
Thanks Helios... I bought it, if for no other reason than to support Linux game development.
arris

Jul 17, 2009
5:15 PM EDT
To be honest, for £3.76, even if I don't manage to install and play the damn thing (what with having a real life) it's worth it just to support someone producing games for Linux.
theboomboomcars

Jul 17, 2009
10:03 PM EDT
Thanks Sander. It installed fine on my desktop, my laptop lacks 3d acceleration, though compiz doesn't like games, so I'll have to disable it and try to play.
jezuch

Jul 18, 2009
6:58 AM EDT
I pretty sure it won't run on my intergrated Radeon, but what the heck ;)
jdixon

Jul 18, 2009
9:00 AM EDT
Unfortunately for them, Ken's review was too good. With that good a description of the game, I know for certain I'd never play it. :(

I considered simply buying it anyway to support the company, but I've decided against it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!