Did anyone else notice...

Story: Software SmackDown: SoftMaker Comes Out on TopTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Jul 06, 2009
4:09 PM EDT
Did anyone else notice that the link for Lotus Symphony didn't lead to the IBM website for the office suite and didn't lead to the appropriate WikiPedia page but rather went to the WikiPedia page for the 1980s DOS-based office suite? It kind of makes you question the accuracy of everything in the article, which I do anyway.

I am not interested in touting another closed, proprietary office suite to replace MS Office. For my personal use and business use OpenOffice has actually done a really good job with MS Office documents. If a document is large and complex and likely to be mangled by OpenOffice converting it to an MS Office file I save as a PDF which is pretty universally readable. That always seems to work.
tracyanne

Jul 06, 2009
5:28 PM EDT
I have no trouble at all with OpenOffcie.org. I used it recently to repair a Word 2007 Document, that was mangled in Word 2007. It would be nice if development was a bit faster, maybe, not holding breath or anything silly like that, development will go a bit faster, now that Sun Politics no longer play their part. But then again there's Oracle politics.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 06, 2009
5:58 PM EDT
I have been working with some rather complicated .dot templates under OOo and I have to agree with Andy Updegrove: OOo's import filters and export filters for .dot/.doc have a *lot* of bugs. Some of them have been solved in 3.1 but since 3.1 has a pretty major regression with sorting spreadsheets, OOo 3.1 isn't really an option for most companies.

The issue in question is this one: http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=101690

It's fixed in 3.1.1 but that isn't out yet. Plus, most companies will want it to be out for some time before they are going to roll it out company-wide.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!