The only problem I have with this article

Story: BSD Advocacy and Breaking Through Market Barriers,Total Replies: 2
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 06, 2009
9:55 PM EDT
The only problem I have with this article is that Ms. VonFange starts by quoting market share numbers for Linux/BSD/FOSS operating systems which we know are understated severely. Starting with a false premise is never terribly helpful. In this case the rest of the article about BSD and general FOSS advocacy is very good.
number6x

Jun 07, 2009
2:16 PM EDT
If OS/X is included in the BSD's (as it is a derivative), BSD would have a much larger market share.

I think that a good argument could be made for awarding 50% of Sun's market share to BSD as well. Sun is kind of a hybrid BSD + SYS V Frankenstein kind of creature.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 08, 2009
12:22 AM EDT
Look at this article. It talks about a monolithic BSD with no mention of the major and minor projects that make up the various BSD-derived operating systems. Not even FreeBSD, which I suspect the author is really talking about -- although I have no way of knowing.

Excepting the "resources" links at the bottom, there's not one mention of even a single BSD project, nor anything any of the projects is doing (or not doing, as the case may be) on either the desktop, the server or the embedded market.

There's no "there" there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!