Thanks Caitlyn

Story: Is Microsoft ‘Buying-Off’ Linux Netbook Vendors? [Updated]Total Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 03, 2009
10:30 AM EDT
That article led me to a site called naked computers, which pointed me to Pioneer Computers Australia. At last a wholesaler who will supply no OS or Linux pre installed.
caitlyn

Jun 03, 2009
11:58 AM EDT
ta: I'm glad the link to nakedcomputers.org in the article was useful. I didn't know about that site either... until yesterday :)
tracyanne

Jun 03, 2009
5:55 PM EDT
It looks like I can get much better prices than I could through the other wholesalers I've been trying to deal with... They don't really have what I want, and i've only purchased machines off them because I have a customers who want a machine. So I had to purchase machines with Windows and wipe it, and install Linux. The mark up gets eaten by the Windows tax and shipping.

If I can order machines preinstalled with Linux, that I can ship direct to customers, my profits will be considerably enhanced.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2009
8:36 AM EDT
We just got approved as a Reseller for Pioneer Computers, suddenly it becomes obvious what the cost of Windows really is. I've just been pricing some netbooks, Dreambook Lite, as Pioneer Computers call them, an OEM copy of Win XP adds just under $AU50 to the price, so With Ubuntu installed on them I can sell them for at least $50 less than the Windows version, which means for the 8.9 inch model I can retail them for $AU499.00 (at the current rate of exchange about $US400.00) plus shipping.
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2009
8:42 AM EDT
Yep, Windows is expensive. That's why it galls so many of us who never use it to pay for it, of course. I will never buy a computer with Windows preinstalled again.
gus3

Jun 05, 2009
9:11 AM EDT
Wop Hop tracyanne! Congrats!

I'm curious how other ver$ion$ might look. Is XP the only 'doze version available for pre-install?
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2009
9:12 AM EDT
I've already registered a complaint with another wholesaler, I actually purchased a netbook for a customer through them, before I found and was approved by Pioneer, it comes with Windows which will get wiped, and Linux installed, I can sell it for $AU600, I can't go any lower and that's with a reduced margin. I can retail a similar machine from Pioneer for about $AU550 - $AU560 with a better margin.

But it's not just the Netbooks, it's every computer, right across the range.
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2009
9:21 AM EDT
Actually that just under $AU50 is a special price for WinXP if it's preinstalled on a netbook that meets Microsoft's ULCPC guild line HD 160G. Single Core CPU. Otherwise it's about $AU80.00
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2009
9:27 AM EDT
No there are other versions of Windows gus, they are more expensive.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional [+$200] Microsoft Windows XP Media Centre Edition [+$143] Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition COA [+$43] - ULPC guideline special Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium COA (32/64 Bit) [+$158] Microsoft Windows Vista Business COA (32/64 Bit) [+$183] Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate [+$290] Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic COA [+$60] - ULPC Guideline special Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Foundation 15 CAL, COA [+$249] Windows Recovery DVD Media [+$7] - forr COA Version Order only

These prices don't include GST. COA appears to equivalent to OEM.

Oh and the price of Ubuntu in both 32 and 64 bit $AU0.00 plus GST.

GST is 10%.
gus3

Jun 05, 2009
9:35 AM EDT
Good grief, they even tax Ubuntu...

(That was a funny comment, for the humor-impaired.)
techiem2

Jun 05, 2009
1:07 PM EDT
If I remember from the little looking I've done, COA differs from OEM in that it is the license and stickers ONLY and does not include the media. COA = Certificate of Authenticity
tracyanne

Jun 05, 2009
6:20 PM EDT
@techie, thanks for the clarification.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!