Very nice looking distro

Story: Distribution Release: Hacao Linux 4.21Total Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 01, 2009
12:43 PM EDT
I don't know if anyone looked at DistroWatch Weekly this week but the screenshot of Hacao Linux, running in English rather than Vietnamese, is very pretty indeed. It looks like an aesthetically pleasing distro. For that reason alone I may just take a look.
hkwint

Jun 01, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
I'm eager to hear how it's different from PuppyLinux. Keep us up to date!
caitlyn

Jun 01, 2009
5:25 PM EDT
Well, considering I refuse to run Puppy Linux, now or EVER, I won't be able to give you that info.
hkwint

Jun 01, 2009
6:01 PM EDT
There was some bad taste in my mouth somewhere, but now I remember. Sorry for bringing up that issue again.
tuxchick

Jun 01, 2009
6:24 PM EDT
Sounds like classic PTSD-- Puppy Traumatic Stress Disorder.
caitlyn

Jun 01, 2009
6:34 PM EDT
I received an e-mail from a now former member of the Puppy community who described someone with a dissenting view in their forum. Apparently some people there thought the best way to deal with him was to bash his head in. Yep, another death threat directed at someone else. If the text that was sent me was accurate (I didn't visit the Puppy Linux forum to confirm so I can't be sure) there was agreement that head bashing was the way to go. Sadly things like this end up reflecting on the Linux community as a whole rather than one tiny little unfortunate corner of the community.
jdixon

Jun 01, 2009
7:27 PM EDT
> Puppy Traumatic Stress Disorder.

A puppy soiling your heirloom family rug can do that to you.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 01, 2009
7:32 PM EDT
I used Puppy quite a bit at one point, but once I started to get a lot of data on my installs, I needed to get beyond the 2GB pup_save limit and have proper non-root accounts and permissions, as well as an easy upgrade path.

Still, Puppy definitely has its uses, and on really, really old hardware, it's great. It's still the best thing for my 1999-era Compaq Armada laptop (233 MHz CPU, 144 MB RAM).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!