The smell of opportunity

Story: Little Laptops With Linux Have Compatibility Issues Total Replies: 0
Author Content
hkwint

May 29, 2009
10:32 AM EDT
Cheap netbooks without Windows don't speak the language of the printer; is the perceived problem.

Proofs HP is just plain stupid; they sell millions of printers; they sell Linux laptops, but are not able to provide a tester from WSJ with a HP-printer that works with their own (!) Linux netbooks. Same for the digi camera.

So I guess there's a big opportunity for a small company to provide printers and cameras that _do_ work with those laptops, right? I envision this 'business plan':

-Buy HP printer -Peel off HP logo (we don't want to infringe any trademarks, do we?); -Add script to LXer site that automatically configures CUPS to use the particular printer; -print "To download the driver, goto LXer.com/print_driver" with large fonts on a sticker and put that sticker on the printer; obviously lots of people don't understand 'how to run a script' but they do understand how to install a driver, -Replace the empty space where once the HP logo resided with a LXer sticker.

How hard can it be? HP could have fixed this within two days. I'm sorry, but if this is too much effort for them, it makes me want to <<comment removed by author>>

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!