#@#@ connection.

Story: Fedora 11 Simple Firewall SetupTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
nikkels

May 23, 2009
2:59 AM EDT
In this past year, I never have managed to connect to easylinuxcds, not from this nor from any other machine, not from this nor from any other location. My browser connects within 3 seconds to any site in the world, meaning, I get also a response , albeit sometimes slow. Noe I have tried a total of 30 minutes to connect, with the only result that I became more skilled in using swearwords, that my blood pressure went up, and that I am writing this letter. I hope to feel better after this.

Can any of you please report to that site that it has a problem. To repeat it: I can't connect to that site at any time, any day, any week of the year.

Now the serious part Can Lxer please put the contents of the article under " read more " I would really apreciate that.

See........!! I start feeling better already. Thanks
Sander_Marechal

May 23, 2009
3:17 AM EDT
EasyLinuxCDs works fine for me (XS4All, The Netherlands).

Quoting:Can Lxer please put the contents of the article under " read more "

Nope. Except for the few articles that are licensed CC we cannot. It would be copyright infringement. Unfortunately for you, EasyLinuxCDs articles appear not to be licensed under CC.
nikkels

May 23, 2009
3:46 AM EDT
OK, I understand.

I know it works for you. Last time and the time before when I complained, it was also working for you.

I just asked a friend, living about 50 Km away from me to try, and nope, no connection either.

So, somewhere is a problem.....but......

Thanks again Nikkels
hkwint

May 23, 2009
8:58 AM EDT
Try this

http://google.com/search?q=cache:http://easylinuxcds.com/blo...

Should do the trick.
nikkels

May 23, 2009
9:15 AM EDT
hkwint, thanks a lot for the effort, but......no go.

My browser says: connecting to.....but the blue bar at the bottom goes half way, and that's it till I get a time out.

With your hyperlink, it also says connecting to.....but I don't even see a download bar

And this site is the only one !
hkwint

May 23, 2009
11:30 AM EDT
The link I provided is Google cache, so maybe there's something on the page which doesn't load or so. Maybe try Lynx or Links to find out; otherwise I don't have a clue.
aweber

May 23, 2009
12:38 PM EDT
I'm sorry nikkels. I know this isn't the first time you've had problems connecting to EasyLinuxCDs. The site is all locked down for security and some places are blocked because we've been attacked from that area. If you email your subnet address or IP address to me at andrew at easylinuxcds dot com we'll open it up for you.
nikkels

May 23, 2009
9:07 PM EDT
Many thanks .

I was thinking in that line. First I thought your site was blocked by the government of this country , as they just this year put on a massive firewall and blocked over 5000 sites which don't talk " nicely " about their country. But I didn't get a green notice screen of such and why should linux talk Thai politics anyway.

Then my thinking got blocked as well ....!!

This morning, I checked my site ( Language site ) where I moderate, and found 11 spams on the forum website, all from china ( domain names )

It was then that my nikkel ( forgive the pun ) fell.

You got the same problem as we have.....so I forgive you :-)

Then I got your/this mail

I will email you.

And many thinks for the offer

Nikkels
Sander_Marechal

May 25, 2009
5:37 AM EDT
aweber: In this day and age of botnets it's not smart anymore to block IP addresses or IP address ranges. 99% of the spam and attacks these days come from IP addresses belonging to normal people who's computer has gotten infected by a botnet. Permanently banning IP addresses or even IP address ranges means cutting off large portions of readers.

I don't know exactly what kind of attacks you are getting (spam? hacking attempts? DDoS?) but if you post that here, I may be able to offer some specific advice. In general, giving IP addresses a timeout is a good compromise. Have a system that automatically detects certain attacks. When you detect one, give their IP address a "timeout", e.g. disallow connecting for 6-8 hours. Or only allow them to browse your site (HTTP GET) but deny all form input (HTTP POST) for 6-8 hours.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!