apples to oranges?

Story: Ubuntu 8.04 checkup, Part 2Total Replies: 11
Author Content
herzeleid

May 02, 2009
12:10 PM EDT
So why not run xubuntu on the linux laptop, so that you can come a wee bit closer to an apples to apples comparison of linux vs openbsd?
cabreh

May 04, 2009
5:58 AM EDT
Indeed. Or, why not first swap either the memory or hard drives between the two and then compare with the memory amounts interchanged?

And then also try Xfce on it.

Steven_Rosenber

May 04, 2009
5:44 PM EDT
I probably will stuff the Ubuntu laptop with more RAM. And I'd love to know just how hard it is to pull the hard drives from these laptops. The saving grace of my Gateway and Compaq laptops is that the way you pull the drives is both obvious and quick. After the 3-hour operation that is replacing an iBook G4 hard drive, I'm more than a little gunshy when it comes to taking laptops apart.

I'm at the point now where I'm much rather pull drives and keep the systems I have intact rather than doing reinstalls all the time.

One thing I haven't gotten across in my most recent 20,000 or so words is that OpenBSD is by no means a speedy system. I think the average Linux system with comparable services running can easily outperform it. Whether it's by design or not, I think that raw performance is much less important than security, portability and code quality to the OpenBSD team. For me, the performance tradeoff has been worth it for the stability of the base system and add-on packages as well as the opportunity to learn that I get with OpenBSD.

And at the time, I needed to put this laptop into service quickly and couldn't get the DVD drive to recognize most of the CDs I had burned (and was still burning). So I installed OpenBSD over FTP with a boot floppy — and I was able to make that floppy and actually get it to work, something that doesn't always happen for me.

Now that I've figured out that the Toshiba Satellite laptops hate the CDs my Dell Optiplex GX520 burns but likes those from a Mac G5, I can install anything I want, but I've just stayed with OpenBSD because I have tons of mail, documents and other stuff on here, and everything continues to work well.

But I could be persuaded to return to Slackware, Debian or just shift over to Ubuntu on the other laptop ...
azerthoth

May 05, 2009
1:46 PM EDT
Steven I havent run across a laptop (non mac) in years where HD replacement wasnt a straight forward and fairly quick process.
Steven_Rosenber

May 05, 2009
3:07 PM EDT
I hope you're right. With the Toshiba Satellite, I can't find any docs that tell how to pull it apart. There's no door/bay accessible from the case. I'd love to pull the keyboard off and find the drive right below it.

One thing's for sure — I need a way bigger drive.
azerthoth

May 05, 2009
6:50 PM EDT
look on the underside, there may be a bay door held on by 2-4 screws if there isnt a side bay "cartridge" for the HD.

also http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread12032.html#
jdixon

May 05, 2009
11:36 PM EDT
Steven, Google is your friend. Simply search for Toshiba Satellite (insert your model here) hard drive replacement, and you're almost certain to find a detailed description of how to do it.
Steven_Rosenber

May 06, 2009
12:55 AM EDT
I've been searching for this for MONTHS. Removing the drive is as difficult as I anticipated:

http://dimension6.googlepages.com/toshibasatellite
azerthoth

May 06, 2009
2:12 AM EDT
egads
TxtEdMacs

May 06, 2009
7:27 AM EDT
Steven,

You mentioned replacing the current drive with a 72 hundred rpm unit, you might find this is not a cost free in an operational sense. If your machine seems to die after some use, it could be from excessive heat output. I have seen this happen. You could buy a fan unit, that has the laptop sit atop. It's a stop gap solution that could allow your unit to operate or to function a longer time between failures.

I hope this advice is unneeded, however, if it does happen you will be less mystified.

YBT

[tagged as serious]
Steven_Rosenber

May 06, 2009
11:40 AM EDT
I've heard about heat problems with these Toshiba laptops, but this particular model (Toshiba Satellite 1100-S101) doesn't run very hot at all. It throws off a lot less heat than my Gateway Solo 1450.

I do have one of those underside-the-laptop USB-powered laptop coolers, but I rarely use it.

I haven't had trouble with the hard drive, I just would rather get a much bigger one in there.

In the Gateway and my old Compaq (Armada 7770dmt), I can pull the hard drive and get a new one in there in a matter of minutes.

There's a special place in geek hell for anybody who makes a laptop that doesn't allow for the hard drive to be replaced without taking the whole bloody thing apart.
gus3

May 06, 2009
4:08 PM EDT
Conversely, if you don't feel the heat, it could mean it's trapped inside.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!