I tried this

Story: Running Ubuntu On Windows XP With Portable UbuntuTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 18, 2009
7:01 AM EDT
Unfortunately you loose a number of Linux features that make accessing windows files and directories from Linux useful. For example you get stuck with the sucky windows thing where you can't delete a file in Windows when the file is opened by another process. You don't seem to be able to access the CD/DVD burner, which would have been useful the other day, as the rent hadn't been paid on Nero, on my work machine, where I have portable Ubuntu installed, and the 30 day "free" period had expired, but I couldn't burn a CD using portable Ubuntu, as the CD/DVD ROM could not be located from Ubuntu.

On the other hand I used an xubuntu live CD to scan a workmate's computer for viruses, using ClamAV, no malware was found. He's been trying to install IE 8, but IE 8 won't install, instead it reports that it can't install because there is malware present.
gus3

Apr 18, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:it reports that it can't install because there is malware present.
Probably a case of Windows.
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2009
12:29 AM EDT
The upshot of me running Xubuntu, is that said work mate wanted to know if he could get better performance from his computer at home if he replaced Windows Vista with XUbuntu. I gave him several copies of Linux including Mandriva ,Xubuntu and Mint.
caitlyn

Apr 19, 2009
12:41 PM EDT
tracyanne: Do you really loose those features? How do you turn them loose? What does that do, really?

I think you meant to say you LOSE those features. They aren't available running under Windows, right?

Pet peeve of mine. One piece of English grammar that gets trashed all over the net.

Lose is the opposite of find Loose is the opposite of tight.

Don't mean to lecture you but I see this mistake everywhere lately and I think my head is about to explode.
gus3

Apr 19, 2009
2:36 PM EDT
Q: If "lose" is the opposite of "win," what is "Losedoze" the opposite of?

A: "Linux." "Losedoze" and "Windows" are synonyms.
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Do you really loose those features?

Only when I type fast and don't check my spelling, on all other occasions I lose them. On other occasions I'm jsut as likely to be unable to find tehm ans smtimes who knows I end u p tripping over my finger.
azerthoth

Apr 19, 2009
4:59 PM EDT
on topic, just played with this for a few on my wifes laptop (since I dont have windows on any of mine). Its interesting. However, since the thumbdrive I was using is already rigged to boot Sabayon I see not reason to just reboot into it when I need it instead, and uncompressed that little *buntu is almost the same size as the bootable partition.

meh feh and gah

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!