I have a dream

Story: Cheap CrunchPad Tablet Shows Off Future of the CloudTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 14, 2009
12:50 AM EDT
But not of a portable "cloud" client. I dream of a touchpad PC that fits into an ordinary 8.5"x11" portfolio, and I can either hand-write on it, or type. I'm a good typist so it doesn't bother me to type, but handwriting has one great big advantage- you only need one hand.

Way back at the turn of the century I was intensively testing both voice-recognition and handwriting software. (On windows, sadly). The bottleneck then was processing power. Now that we have pygmy supercomputers for cheap and for everyday that is no longer an issue-- all we need now is the software.
gus3

Apr 14, 2009
1:37 AM EDT
That's an excellent point.

The iPhone has more computing power than a VAX 11/780. Why aren't we using it?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 14, 2009
10:45 AM EDT
Gus,

One guy used a "record" app on his iPhone to record the TSA bullying him.

I think that's an excellent use of technology.

But seriously, I think the problem is size. People want small, but a Letter Size tablet is not going to fit in someone's pocket. Blackberries DO fit in a pocket.

You and TC have identified a demand. Now it is the entrepreneurial function for someone to implement that great idea to make a profit meeting heretofore unmet demands.

To see how far the PC has come in 30 years is astounding. Let's keep it going!
number6x

Apr 14, 2009
11:11 AM EDT
The computing hardware, as distinct from the screen it is connected to, can be common between an 8.5" x 11" writing tablet and a pda sized computer. The handwriting recognition and software stack could be similar.

The larger paper sized tablet could incorporate more ports and storage, while the smaller model would get by with a sim card, an sd card and a micro-usb charger/port.

Still they could share the majority of the centralized hardware. Too much of this kind of hardware development is done in silos with each new model being radically different from all others. There has been some progress, but it is slow.

gus3

Apr 14, 2009
11:42 AM EDT
Yeah, I couldn't imagine carting along a VAX, let alone getting it past the airport security theater.
techiem2

Apr 14, 2009
3:46 PM EDT
Anyone remember the old graffiti handwriting recognition language? mmmm good stuff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!