Not living on the same planet -

Story: Linux Servers Feel Economic PainTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
herzeleid

Apr 04, 2009
9:30 PM EDT
The downturn has no doubt affected spending in general - but the idea that it's especially hurting linux is laughable. Even though most of the IT projects here have been cancelled or postponed, the big HP-UX to Linux oracle migation is continuing full speed ahead.

If anything, linux fever seems to be gaining momentum, more targets for migration to linux are being examined. Now in the crosshairs: applications currently running on solaris, aix and naturally, microsoft windoze.

Slowdown? I'm busier than I've been in years!
Sander_Marechal

Apr 05, 2009
7:03 PM EDT
It's an IDC report. They track sales, not installs. Someone buying a no-OS server and installing Debian on it will not show up on IDC's reports.

Of course Linux sales are down. But I bet Linux installs are growing.
herzeleid

Apr 05, 2009
7:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Of course Linux sales are down. But I bet Linux installs are growing.
Exactly what I was thinking -
TxtEdMacs

Apr 05, 2009
9:08 PM EDT
OK, that's enough fantasizing. I just ordered a price rise in all Windows Server product line because it is in such high demand. Moreover, I am forcing rewriting all contracts to force our customers to eat the higher pricing. See? That proves Linux has irreversibly lost market share. Numbers don't lie.

The facts are Windows is the Best. It's secure, reasonably priced and stable. [You can get any two, the third costs extra.]

Since you are so unrealistic, I advise you all to Get Off My Planet, NOW! Our motto is: screw your customers, before some else does it for you.

The Bomber
techiem2

Apr 05, 2009
9:26 PM EDT
Quoting:It's secure, reasonably priced and stable. [You can get any two, the third costs extra.]

ROFL
TxtEdMacs

Apr 06, 2009
7:45 AM EDT
techiem2,

I should have credited Gnumeric, because they had something close to the quote you used: free, stable, fast. Pick any two*. But in my roll as the Bomber, who credits no one it would have been out of character. Moreover, I didn't want to break the spell.

YBT

* Recently it has now become, pick any three.
jdixon

Apr 06, 2009
9:06 AM EDT
The old line is: Good, cheap, or fast; pick any two. It goes back a long way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!