montezuma

Mar 10, 2009
10:23 PM EDT
http://mt.buetow.org/comp/2009/01/my-ideapad-s10e.html

Looks pretty compatible,
bigg

Mar 11, 2009
8:24 AM EDT
But it has Broadcom wireless. The worst experience I've ever had with Linux has been using Broadcom wireless. Run far, far away. Buy anything else.
tuxtom

Mar 11, 2009
8:30 AM EDT
Not to mention using ndiswrapper on a Debian system is a mortal sin.
caitlyn

Mar 11, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
Actually the Gateway laptop we had here (until it died an ugly premature death) had Broadcom wireless and it worked really well under Ubuntu or openSUSE.
DiBosco

Mar 11, 2009
4:56 PM EDT
Recent versions of Mandriva work just fine with Broadcom WiFi. I made a load of Acer laptops dual boot Mandriva with Vista and Mandriva picked up and had the WiFi working no problem.

tuxchick

Mar 11, 2009
4:57 PM EDT
Are Mandriva et al using ndiswrapper, or is there a native GPL Broadcom driver?
DiBosco

Mar 11, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
It's not ndiswrapper, TC. I installed Mandriva Free and I *think* that is only FOSS.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 11, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
There are FOSS broadcom drivers out there, but they don't work on all broadcom chipsets and they're only in really new kernels.
caitlyn

Mar 11, 2009
5:57 PM EDT
Sander is right. I'm pretty sure we used ndiswrapper on the Gateway. I know we did on SUSE.
montezuma

Mar 11, 2009
6:26 PM EDT
bigg, >But it has Broadcom wireless. The worst experience I've ever had with Linux has been using Broadcom wireless. Run far, far away. Buy anything else.

Apparently there is disagreement on this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22035785-
techiem2

Mar 11, 2009
9:21 PM EDT
Some bcm chipsets (such as the bcm4318 I believe) have the drivers in the kernel or available (generally newer kernels). However last time I messed with one (probably a few months ago or so), you still needed to rip the firmware out of a windows driver for it to work.
tuxtom

Mar 12, 2009
3:48 AM EDT
About a year ago...maybe late Fall of '07...I tried Mandriva, Mepis and Ubuntu on a new laptop with broadcom wireless and they all used ndiswrapper. I forgot which, but one of them downloaded and installed the Windows driver for you, which made it painless and seamless....it was probably Mepis due to the dubious licensing (which doesn't bother me in the least, as long as it works).

I have recently tired the open-source drivers and they worked fine now, so sometimes it just takes a while for FOSS to catch up with new chip releases.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 12, 2009
12:08 PM EDT
My Mom's machine has a Broadcom chip, and someone posted the binary blob as a .DEB for Ubuntu. Worked fine for Linux.

But I never did get wicd or knetworkmanager working correctly, so I had to put my local wifi in /etc/network/interfaces hard coded. Bad, bad juju.

She's going to mail it to me soon, since she just cannot get it to connect to anyone else's wireless, and it's making it impossible for her to say to her friends, "Look at this wonderful Linux system my Son put together for me."

When I come crawling back here saying "help me! help me!" I hope no one laughs...
tuxchick

Mar 12, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
We'll laugh, and then we'll help.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!