well...

Story: Howto install nginx webserver in DebianTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 24, 2009
5:15 PM EDT
I was about to say "apt-get install nginx works for me" but the article seems to be dealing with a new super duper version of nginx that's not packaged yet.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 24, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
The version packaged with Lenny is 0.6.32, the one in the article is .35.

Not too sure what that little difference might make. :^)
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 25, 2009
2:08 PM EDT
I imagine there are plenty of admins who prefer installing and even compiling their own web-server (and probably other) software so they know exactly what they're getting and set some options the way they want them. ... and they don't want to risk a package update breaking anything.

Me? I'll take the package every time.
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2009
3:48 PM EDT
I'm with Steve on this one. A good package manager can help with version tracking, something important when dealing with large numbers of servers. Red Hat Satellite Server, while expensive, brings this functionality to the network level, allowing tracking, patching, and updating of all servers across a large network. If I walk into a shop with a properly configured Satellite Server then maintaining the Red Hat machines becomes simple on many levels.

On home systems most of the package management systems in the better distros (no, that doesn't always mean larger distros) can automatically notify you when an updated version becomes available. That, to me, is valuable. While I do try and keep up with the major security sites getting a non-intrusive heads up is always welcome.
number6x

Feb 25, 2009
8:06 PM EDT
You can always set up your own in house package repositories.

You can have production, pre-production, test and development levels.

That way you can test updates from third parties (third parties to your company like your linux distro repositories) in a pre-production environment before letting the updates into your repositories.

setting it up with a standard suite of regression tests would be a great way to control source and push updates to your production environment in a timely fashion. This is a great idea for linux system consultants to offer their clients. If I stop being a programmer and switch to the system support side, I'll have to sell this.

Heck, people at my old consulting company could do this, I need to make some phone calls...
caitlyn

Feb 25, 2009
8:23 PM EDT
number 6x: Red Hat Satellite Server is an off the shelf solution that does precisely what you describe and more. It is almost always setup with local repositories. It allows for server groupings in any arrangements you wish: whether it's the classic development, testing and QA, production model or by functional role or both.

Have I done this without a paid product? Sure, I've setup local repos and managed them with yum, etc... What I'm saying is that Red Hat already offers a very elegant solution for businesses.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 25, 2009
9:45 PM EDT
I recently installed Solaris 9 for Sparc from the 12/03 edition, whatever that means. I have the box of software -- lots of plastic, some paper, quite a few discs, which I purchased (OK ... on eBay).

But how do I update the thing? It's more of a mystery than not, and given how alien the whole thing -- and how to install software on it -- is, I'll probably wipe it soon and go back to OpenBSD.

My "Complete Idiots" book on Solaris 9 isn't exactly giving up how to REALLY administrate this OS.

My point is that all of this makes your friendly neighborhood Linux distribution look like the easiest, best thing you've ever seen, given all the package management tools, easy-to-access repositories and nearly constant (yet mostly seamless) updating.

number6x

Feb 27, 2009
2:10 PM EDT
Thanks caitlyn,

I haven't used Red Hat since 4.3, I really should!

d'loading fedora 10 xfce 'spin' via torrent now!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!