Debian puts various desktop choices in the boot menu

Story: Debian Project NewsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 15, 2009
1:06 AM EDT
Quoting:The most notable change is the replacement of the Xfce installation disc with a "light desktop" installation disc for installing Xfce or LXDE. Furthermore, all four major desktop environments (GNOME, KDE, Xfce and LXDE) are directly installable from the first DVD image; the desktop environment to be installed can now be chosen via the boot menu.

Two things:

Since when did LXDE become a "major desktop environment"? Did I miss the meeting?

Otherwise, this is a great thing to have in the installer. Loading the various desktops with boot parameters is too geeky, even for me. Not that I haven't done it, but it's definitely the kind of thing that should be in a menu.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 15, 2009
4:19 AM EDT
Steven, that happened about halfway through 2008. The announcements were on LXer. It's not major as in rivaling Gnome or KDE, but certainly a match for Xfce.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 15, 2009
6:19 PM EDT
My memory is starting to return to me. This must be what's powering the latest gOS ... or not.
azerthoth

Jan 15, 2009
7:57 PM EDT
I'v done 2 installs of LXDE now, both on Sabayon, one a binary install and the other from source. After the initial 'oh wow, thats cool' wore off, I have relegated it to the WM/DE for when I do VNC connects to my home systems when I'm on the road.

Not bad, but overall I really prefer Fluxbox, which is lighter and more functional.
tracyanne

Jan 15, 2009
8:31 PM EDT
Ok now I have to try LXDE. Thanks
jacog

Jan 16, 2009
4:51 AM EDT
Just plopped LXDE onto my wife's EEE as an alternative to KDE for when she's on the road. Seems decent so far. Zippy and all. Many things are not yet configurable through the GUI tools, and these are a tad scattered, but let's just say it is showing potential.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 16, 2009
9:05 PM EDT
I've grown quite comfortable with Fvwm, and I imagine using it would be even better if I read the man page some more and set up some keybindings.

I met a Fluxbox developer at SCALE last year, and he did everything with keybindings. And his Fluxbox looked a whole lot cooler than my Fluxbox did at the time.
gus3

Jan 16, 2009
10:23 PM EDT
@SR:

You might also investigate FVWM-Crystal.

http://www.fvwm-crystal.org/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!