Config files and stuff

Story: Linux Succumbs to Creeping Windows-ItisTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
jezuch

Jan 14, 2009
3:13 AM EDT
You might want to install etckeeper. It's a nice package that puts /etc in a repository (usually git) and commits changes after each apt-get action.

Regarding config file mess, I think it's usually done to make it easier to do automatic changes. You know how hellish hard it is to make even the simplest scripted changes to a single, large, monolithic configuration behemoth, right? Things like "remove the part that was added by this package, along with local changes, and nothing more"?
Sander_Marechal

Jan 14, 2009
8:45 AM EDT
In some cases I find it easier to work with multiple files as well. No more mucking about in a giant configfile. Just drop a simple shoft file in a conf.d/ directory and you're done. It really depends on how you work with the files. If you know what you're looking for (e.g. a specific setting) then it's easier to have multiple files. If you're reviewing the configuation as a whole then a single file would probably be easier.

Regarding the author's comments on network-manager, I call "Boo". The entire point of NM is that it works automagically. If you run NM then don't touch your interfaces configuration, and if you want to muck about with it manually, then remove NM. It's either-or... or so it used to be. I noticed on Debian Etch when you edited the interfaces file, NM would throw a hissy fit and start arguing. I noticed now with Lenny that when you edit the interfaces config for a specific interface, it removes that interface from NM control. All other interfaces will stay under NM control.

The author does have a point with udev/hal/etcetera configuration. It's pretty much impossible to touch it without breaking a whole lot of stuff. I used to have a problem on my computer that, when two people were logged in at the same time, it would assign USB sticks and CDs to the wrong user. I tried to resolve that but gave up after a day or so.
montezuma

Jan 14, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
Further on NM: I hate that thing so every install I rip it out and install wicd instead. This has a straightforward and informative interface and in my experience wicd is much more stable and logical than NM.
NoDough

Jan 15, 2009
10:40 AM EDT
I have to admit, I really like NM in Ubuntu 8.10. My WPA2 problems are gone and it supports both my 3G-CDMA and OpenVPN. I'm pretty happy with it.
tracyanne

Jan 15, 2009
5:35 PM EDT
On the subject of Wireless on Linux. Mandriva uses two applications drakconnect which requires root password to access, and allows the setting up of network connections, and drakroam which is run from the user account and allows switching between networks. Both work very well and are quite simple to use.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!