Using CentOS...

Story: CentServer: Like CentOS, but on one CD and without XTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Dec 26, 2008
12:49 PM EDT
Use CD one only. Uncheck everything at package selection (EVERYTHING), so it installs only the very base system. This will need only the first CD. Then YUM everything else you need. Works for 32 and 64 bit, and no need for YAD. I have used this to install it as a workstation also, it simplifies and speeds up getting an up-to-date machine.
hughesjr

Dec 26, 2008
1:38 PM EDT
Correct ... CentOS can be installed from CD-1 in a minmal install. Also you can easily just set up cobbler (or even just a kickstart file) and just push the exact packages you want from a full repo and install the exact same packages on 10,000 machines at the same time.

So I am not really sure why there is a need for this new distro. I admit I am a probably bit biased being a CentOS developer and all :D

But, as long as they are not pointing people to the CentOS infrastructure for updates or using the CentOS logos and trademarks then they can create a new distro if they want.

That is the purpose / advantage of open source afterall :D
rijelkentaurus

Dec 26, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
Great job with CentOS, btw.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 26, 2008
4:46 PM EDT
I'm also a big fan of CentOS on the desktop. When RH went to 5.2, getting all those newer packages really revitalized RHEL/CentOS for desktop users.
tuxchick

Dec 26, 2008
8:35 PM EDT
CentOS, the official distro of Tuttle, Oklahoma.

*guffaw*
jdixon

Dec 26, 2008
10:16 PM EDT
> ...the official distro of Tuttle, Oklahoma.

The best line of which had to be "I feel sorry for your city" :)

Here's the link for those who missed it: http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=127

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!