2.6.27 kernel "damages" networking hardware

Story: Ubuntu 8.10 beta goes liveTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 03, 2008
4:16 PM EDT
Quoting:The release uses the Linux kernel 2.6.27 which suffered a significant bug a week ago. The bug affected some Intel networking hardware and damaged them. Users of hardware with that particular line of networking hardware will not be able to use their network using this beta release as Ubuntu has disabled the kernel module until a fix is in place. Future releases will include support for that hardware again.

"Not good" is nowhere near strong enough for something like this. I'll be anxious to know when this fix is in ...

Here's a Kernel Trap article that mentions this (should be coming up on LXer eventually, too):

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.27-rc8_This_One_Should_Be_Th...
azerthoth

Oct 03, 2008
4:25 PM EDT
The fix already exists.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc1OQ
herzeleid

Oct 03, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
Keep in mind that 2.6.27 has not yet been released, nor has ubuntu 8.10 - don't worry, be happy.
helios

Oct 04, 2008
6:00 PM EDT
The .27 kernel, to my understanding, is the release that is supossed to automagically fix/bring alive the dead on arrival built in web cams in asus and other notebooks,,,particularly those usb devices listed in lsusb as only "ali corporation". There is a driver being developed but "the ali corporation has been hot and cold on helping get it done. I tried 8.10 and the webcams still don't work but I think it now boils down to a fight between V4L and V4L2 devices and system calls.

Either way, I really hope it gets fixed. What the cloudbook/asus crowd was thinking by releasing these laptops with webcams that didn't work in Linux is beyond me. I hear THIS is the last beta. Looking forward to it. As an aside, my Never-to-connect broadcom chip in my hp ZV5000 connected out of the box with 8.10. That was sweet.

h
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 04, 2008
11:06 PM EDT
That's how Ubuntu sucks you in -- stuff that never worked starts to work.
tracyanne

Oct 05, 2008
8:48 AM EDT
Quoting:That's how Ubuntu sucks you in -- stuff that never worked starts to work.

No it doesn't, I stopped using it because of stuff that doesn't work.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!