What I wanna know...

Story: What They're Using: Christian Einfeldt, Producer, the Digital Tipping PointTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Sep 05, 2008
4:57 PM EDT
Is beyond office applications, what FOSS software gets used in the law office? I have one client who uses a Red Hat server, but it's just a file server and they run TABSiii and Amicus off of it...which is really not a bad thing. I have other clients who use PCLaw (which MUST run on a Windows server now, older versions just needed a file server). What stuff is good and ready that is actually a native Linux app?
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 05, 2008
10:21 PM EDT
Back in the day, all law offices used WordPerfect.
jdixon

Sep 05, 2008
10:30 PM EDT
> ...all law offices used WordPerfect.

AFAICT, some still do.
dinotrac

Sep 06, 2008
7:33 AM EDT
WRT WordPerfect --

Doesn't have the penetration it used to, but WordPerfect was favored, in part, for it's superior ability to set up a Table of Authorities, which is essential in writing legal briefs.

I tried using Word in law school, and hurt myself quite badly in one legal writing class because the ToA was too hard to put together.

rijelkentaurus

Sep 06, 2008
8:04 PM EDT
A lot of law offices I am at (and accountants) still use WP, Word is just a pain. I don't know that WP is any less of a pain (almost everything with a simple text editor for me), but at least, IIRC, it supports ODF.

Am I wrong, or are most of the PCLaw-TABS-ProLaw type programs rather easily replaced by an ERP solution that will allow for clients, time tracking and billing? Or do they do something special specifically related to the law?
techiem2

Sep 06, 2008
8:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Or do they do something special specifically related to the law?

They allow for more billable hours. LOL.

The more different programs you have to use to enter everything, the more time you get to spend switching between them, thus the more time you can bill your clients. Or maybe I'm just a bit cynical....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!