different market segments

Story: Could Linux's Market Share Be 15%, 20%, or More?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 28, 2008
2:03 PM EDT
What I wish is all these articles that debate Linux's market share would differentiate between the different market segments. Linux has a big chunk of the server space, it's a big player in the embedded space and may soon dominate it, and it's growing like weeds in the appliance space. In fact it's only the mainstream desktop that's been weak on Linux adoption, and of course we all know how weak the data are there, because of free downloads, repurposed machines, multiple installations from a single download or disk, and so forth.
herzeleid

Aug 28, 2008
4:47 PM EDT
> of course we all know how weak the data are there, because of free downloads, repurposed machines, multiple installations from a single download or disk, and so forth.

Not to mention the linux users who've had to configure their browsers to masquerade as something silly like "msie 5.5 on windows" so as not to be denied access to web sites run by Devry dropouts.
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
5:12 PM EDT
Quoting:onfigure their browsers to masquerade as something silly like "msie 5.5 on windows"

I configure my Firefox browsers on Windows (at work) to masquerade as Firefox on Mandriva Linux.
tracyanne

Aug 28, 2008
5:16 PM EDT
Here's the configs

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 App Name: Netscape App Version: 5.0 (X11; en-GB) Platform: Linux i686

I change Platform to Mandriva Linux i686
number6x

Aug 28, 2008
5:40 PM EDT
The 'Slashdot Effect' is pretty well known, and Slashdot is also considered a 'Linux' site. LXer has even exhibited this effect on occasion.

When articles or companies are featured on Slashdot, the originating sites are flooded with visitors. Some sites featured on Slashdot have mistakenly believed they were under DDOS attacks. Some have just crumpled under the weight of so many hits. Some of the sites brought to their knees by the Slashdot effect have been hosted on very Enterprisey high end hardware built on professional proprietary purchased software infrastructures.

Yet they crumbled all of them.

Slashdot, running on a simple LAMP system, handled all of the same traffic and more!

This has been going on for years.

So I conclude (lots of bad logic here) that there are more Linux Users than Windows Users!

If there were more Windows Users it would be the ZDnet effect. Every time an article or company would be featured on a Windows centric site like ZDnet, the hordes of Windows users viewing the site would all follow the links to the original site and it would be crushed!

But it is the Slashdot effect, not the ZDnet effect. So therefore there must be more Slashdotters than ZDnetters. And Slashdot is a Linux oriented site, not a Windows oriented site, so there must be more Linux users than Windows users!

Now, beat that weak logic. I dare you!

(Of course it could be that the Windows centric news sites just open up so many pop-up windows and carry so many flash adds that the Windows user's machines crash before they can follow the links. But I'm standing by my faulty logic.)
Sander_Marechal

Aug 28, 2008
7:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Some of the sites brought to their knees by the Slashdot effect have been hosted on very Enterprisey high end hardware built on professional proprietary purchased software infrastructures.

I have only a simple server. Plain jane Apache 2 and PHP 5. It doesn't even break a sweat when it gets the digg effect, slashdot effect or any other effect.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 28, 2008
10:18 PM EDT
Quoting:The 'Slashdot Effect' is pretty well known, and Slashdot is also considered a 'Linux' site. LXer has even exhibited this effect on occasion.

I am glad to say that I have heard from some people who have said that after an article of theirs hitting our newswire that they're site traffic jumped bigtime.

:-)

/does the happy dance..
tuxchick

Aug 28, 2008
10:29 PM EDT
Well Scott, I can brag too! I just heard from a guy whose old slow home server was brought to its knees when I linked to his blog over at Brand X. After the 7th hit it just couldn't take it anymore.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 29, 2008
2:06 PM EDT
Make no mistake, LXer can bring the traffic.

And it's a whole lot easier to get your item here than Digg, Slashdot or what have you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!