Good fud

Story: Commentary: The Penguin Doesn't Fly, Avoid LinuxTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
nikkels

Aug 09, 2008
8:43 PM EDT
This is one of the best pieces of mis-information I have read in a long time. I was tempted to answer line by line, but then decided against it as it is the same thing as it always was. . I am also sure that " somewhere, someone , very soon" will not be able to resist.
jacog

Aug 10, 2008
2:04 AM EDT
I admit, it's tempting. But where to begin?? There's so much rubbish in there!! Wut, I had to memorise an 800-page list of commands?? Nobody told me.

He can't find his files?? How about just clicking on the little Home icon??

And yes, Gimp etc. are also available for Windows... that's the whole point of free software.

And his comment about throwaway computers... yaaah, he doesn't get it.

Should I laugh, or cry? I am amazed, I really am. Schocked even! And a sprinkling of bafflement.

Urk.
nikkels

Aug 10, 2008
3:13 AM EDT
it's pity he doesn't give us a chance to respond. Only email address is available, and most probably he doesn't even reads them.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 10, 2008
3:47 AM EDT
Quoting:it's pity he doesn't give us a chance to respond.

You said he gave an email address, try it and if you get nothing in return then complain. Spammers are so dumb, since costs seem nil to none, they just dump without thought. Why do one or two when 100 per day means they can sell their services based on astronomical numbers?

Doing a site alone, even someone that writes stupid content is still work. Adding cleaning out the trash from posters more interested in seeing themselves in print is a waste of energy.

On my site I have replied to every real email sent, when I was running another site I might have missed one since my partner did not know how to configure SpamAssassin and would neither understand how the built-in filtering would not work nor give me access rights. So getting about 100 a day (and probably rising) I just got out of that work.

As dumb as you perceive this person to be, try an email. It might work [or like here - it might not].

Sorry all with embedded serious tags, no jokes today.

Txt.

P.S. If you write, please be polite and make your points logically. If you do this and are attacked, post both. [Then Digg the thread.]
helios

Aug 10, 2008
4:18 AM EDT
Lawyers do tend to be Windows users and in my experience not so cutting edge in the tech department.

The above line is taken from the LXer lead to the story. It doesn't reflect well on lawyers since I have successfully taught 10 year old kids to use Linux in about 30 minutes. There are some things that come to mind concerning this piece and I will outline them here...feel free to add to them...they will be used at a later date:

The level of fud reached by this article stinks of being a paid hit-piece. A paid-by-the-word paid hit-piece.

When condensed down to its final elements, this is just a kicking, screaming tantrum in public that Linux is just too different from Windows and our attorney friend is throwing a public hissy fit over the fact.

We have been blessed with a permanent record of an official proclamation. Title of said proclamation?

"I'm an idiot and here's the proof."

h
Sander_Marechal

Aug 10, 2008
4:59 AM EDT
I think you all missed the most important part of this article:

Quoting:In fact, Linux is not really cheaper for lawyers or anyone whose time is money. Whereas Windows is typically bundled with the purchase of a new computer, buying it that way really only adds about $75 under bulk licenses to computer makers. And that is money that can’t really be saved by avoiding Windows because computers sold without any OS or with Linux as an alternative are hard to find, and don’t sell cheaper. So for those inclined to try Linux for free, the break even point is about 15 billable minutes, far less time than is needed to actually install it, assuming that you find a deal for a computer without a proprietary OS.

He says Windows is cheaper because the price is worth only 15 minutes of his time. It's true, but the really worrying part is that if you pay for computer support, the price difference goes away. Usually, Linux is even cheaper because your computer support guy has to spend far less time dealing with your troubles.

The example only works if you do your own computer support. Would you trust a lawyer who does is own computer support? A lawyer who clearly seems to be non-technical? A lawyer who uses Windows, which requires significant expertise to keep even half secure? Would you trust him with your most private data?

If I were his client I would start running now...
nikkels

Aug 10, 2008
5:11 AM EDT

It doesn't reflect well on lawyers since I have successfully taught 10 year old kids to use Linux in about 30 minutes.

Same here, plus the fact that these kids here don't even understand English...they are Thai

So how complicated can it be
hkwint

Aug 10, 2008
6:23 AM EDT
Quoting:Would you trust him with your most private data?

Well, our own country shows you can't trust legal nor military people with private data at all. Same for Great Brittain.
helios

Aug 10, 2008
7:01 AM EDT
The fact that the Dow Jones, most of the US military and the US Mint , just to name a few have migrated to Linux...and yes, many of them use the desktop as well; speaks volumes. Unfortunately our Counselor friend has conveniently left that out. Wonder why?

Your witness

h
jacog

Aug 10, 2008
7:04 AM EDT
How can he say that user files are buried 8 layers down the directory tree? I mean... /home/username/directorynameofyourchoice is not that complicated.... and Home can usually be reached with a single click in pretty much all file managers.

Either he's really dumb... or just spreading lies on purpose.
helios

Aug 10, 2008
7:41 AM EDT
I mean... /home/username/directorynameofyourchoice is not that complicated....

It comes down to "but it's not C: program files!!!"

That's it...he's pissed because he has to actually think outside of the indoctrination he's accepted. He has to learn something new and should it ever be discovered and admitted to, that's what this whole rant is about...

It's not what resides within my comfort zone therefore it scores a 10 on my "this-sux-o'meter".

It resides no deeper than that...and the depth of his wallet. I still say this reeks of a paid hit piece.

h
jacog

Aug 12, 2008
12:59 AM EDT
My apologies for not letting this die... but a reader on Groklaw just dug up this "bug report" from mr Kovel:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147096

Just read it - it is the most hilarious thing I think I have read in a long time. And you know... I am taking back every bad thing I ever said about KDE4, and will install it this evening out of pure sympathy for those poor people for having to put up with this rubbish.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 12, 2008
1:49 AM EDT
@jacog: That's the most hillarious thing I've seen so far! The guy really is an idiot.

Quoting:To make life easier and more intuitive, I tried changing mnt/hdc to simply E:, as it has been in computing since Day 1, and to change the mnt/hda to C: as it has been since hard drives came into use.

Quoting:The idea that Konquerer gives users more freedom than Windows is silly. Konquerer only allows creation of new folders somewhere within the home folder, and doesn't allow created folders to be moved outside the home folder;

Quoting:ne would never dream that a house icon on the desktop, universally recognized as a launcher taking you to your Internet home page, is actually the entry to the main file management program

In short, Windows-itis.
jacog

Aug 12, 2008
3:28 AM EDT
He seems to blame a lot of things on Konqueror that have nothing to do with Konqueror. Let's hope he never has to use MacOS.

I also resent the C: has been used since hard drives were invented comment... on my Commodore 64, drives had numbers like ,8 ,9 etc. On my Amiga it had mount aliases like system: and home: or work:, and on Unix systems circa 19bloodylongago, they certainly did NOT use C: to denote any drive.

And looking at the Windows XP machine I am on here at work... there is no E:, just a C: and a P: ... so obviously this one must be broken.

I also rather like:
Quoting:I tried installing a Windows game called "Candyland" using Wine, and got 50 Konquerers popping up, faster than I could shut them off, until I maxed out the system resoruces. My computer hung for 7 minutes with even the clock frozen until I could shut down with Ctl-Alt-Del.

In sum, Konquerer is a poor product, unacceptable really.

I nearly submitted this to the newswire, but it's hardly news.
gus3

Aug 12, 2008
3:43 AM EDT
"To make life easier and more intuitive, I tried changing mnt/hdc to simply E:, as it has been in computing since Day 1"

?

"and to change the mnt/hda to C: as it has been since hard drives came into use."

?!?

We have a name for this type: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/L/luser.html

I'm now even more glad to see him getting both PNW3D and schooled. If he ever goes to Silicon Valley (yeah, FAT32 chance, I know), he should check out the Computing History Museum: http://www.computerhistory.org/

EDIT: Another very pertinent link: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080812
happyfeet

Aug 12, 2008
6:52 AM EDT
I haven't been using Linux for very long - running Sabayon for a couple of years now. Even I know that it doesn't look like Windows - that's its attraction!
Sander_Marechal

Aug 12, 2008
6:56 AM EDT
Yeah. Windows hurst my eyes. The "professional/classic" XP theme is bearable but that green/blue home theme is beyond ugly. Vista ain't much better. Too much bling. It feels like riding a pimp mobile.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!