hmm, not too shabby

Story: How To Install The Zimbra Desktop Email Client On Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)Total Replies: 5
Author Content
herzeleid

Aug 05, 2008
10:28 PM EDT
Just for kicks I installed the zimbra desktop client per the article, and was mildly surprised to find that, although it's a java app, it's a fairly useful and featureful mail client. Lotus notes could take some lessons here.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 06, 2008
3:48 AM EDT
I installed the Windows version on my work laptop just for kicks, it took off with my CPU and it took forever to finally catch up with it. Yech. Nice idea, though. How CPU intensive is the Linux version?
herzeleid

Aug 06, 2008
10:58 AM EDT
It starts up quickly on my laptop (ubuntu 8.04.1, 1 GB RAM). The load average is around 0.3 but it is using 153 MB (resident size) and 517 MB virtual. So the CPU usage here is modest, but on a low RAM laptop it would probably not be pleasant, since it would be working away shuffling bytes in and out of swap.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 06, 2008
12:47 PM EDT
Well, that's not too surprising for a Java app. It's a nice interface, however, I liked the app a lot except for the performance issues it caused...but that's at work, I'll try it on my Mandriva laptop at home when I get the chance to see how it performs.
gus3

Aug 06, 2008
8:15 PM EDT
What about the JVM version? That might be a source of differences between how a Java app runs on one machine vs. another.
herzeleid

Aug 06, 2008
8:40 PM EDT
I'm running what came with the distro, i.e. java 1.6

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!