Author Content
tracyanne

May 22, 2008
8:04 PM EDT
nt
jacog

May 23, 2008
12:21 AM EDT
He may actually be partially correct. The decision here to go FOSS has been mostly budget driven. Any other benefits that OSS will give students in school and government departments will likely just be a natural side effect of FOSS, and not necessarily something calculated by government.
Shagbag

May 23, 2008
1:42 AM EDT
I am astounded by Jason Matusow's arrogance. "Africa where students were 'still grappling with coding skills'." This type of condescention will alienate M$ from the South African public in general.

“Any innovation on Linux that is broadly applicable will immediately be picked up by Red Hat or Novell and commercialized globally with little economic benefit coming back to SA.””. FUD of the week?

I look forward to Mark Shuttleworth's response. Even better, I hope Theo "powder keg" de Raadt picks up on it. I just need 5 minutes for the popcorn to be ready.
jacog

May 23, 2008
2:25 AM EDT
The statement... "“Deep dev of the core OS” was not likely to happen in South Africa where students were “still grappling with coding skills”, says Matusow. They are “not going to dive into the inner workings of Linux”" ... is a bit bizarre.

Nobody will "dive into the inner workings" of a Microsoft product either, regardless of their coding skill. The option does not even exist for that.
number6x

May 23, 2008
7:22 AM EDT
I'm looking forward to Jason's next two installments:

"Jason Matusow tells the Catholic Church that, despite having official Church doctrine on the subject, The Holy See doesn't really understand the concept of transubstantiation."

and

"Jason Matusow tells Stephen Hawkings that, despite devoting a life time of study into it, Hawkings doesn't really understand much about the nature of space and time."

Ballmer spends his spare time throwing chairs around. Jason seems to spend his spare time throwing his words into other people's mouths.

I think Jason's actions are the more dangerous!
tuxchick

May 23, 2008
7:24 AM EDT
lol number6x, that's the best and most accurate translation ever!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!