why

Story: HowTo Compile rTorrent From SVN In Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy HeronTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
nikkels

May 21, 2008
4:11 PM EDT
Why does rtorrent need to be compiled by the end user ? I use PCLinuxOS and when I want rTorrent, I just install it from the repos. This gives me personally the impression that the Buntus are a year behind other distros instead of leading .

Please enlighten me
tracyanne

May 21, 2008
4:40 PM EDT
and enlighten me too.

This is what I keep refering to, Ubuntu (which it is claimed is newbie friendly) has all these CLI things the new user has to do, whereas real newbie oriented distros have the software already packaged.
techiem2

May 21, 2008
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Why does rtorrent need to be compiled by the end user ?

My guess would be because *buntu users aren't generally known to be CLI users so they don't bother packaging many CLI apps like this when there are purty gui apps that do the same thing.
bigg

May 21, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
> Why does rtorrent need to be compiled by the end user ?

It doesn't. It's available in the Ubuntu (and Debian) repos. Note that this is SVN, so I suppose you'd need to do so if you want the very latest.
Steven_Rosenber

May 21, 2008
6:55 PM EDT
I see this occasionally -- an admonition to grab the latest version of package X and compile it yourself.
nikkels

May 21, 2008
9:53 PM EDT
***Note that this is SVN, ***

OK, I didn't understood this well. I do now. Thanks

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!