Author Content
montezuma

May 21, 2008
6:22 AM EDT
Hartley is an idiot. It is Hardy Heron.
jacog

May 21, 2008
7:16 AM EDT
Maybe his editor decided to help him out by "correcting" his spelling. Or maybe he's just an idiot... ya ok, won't argue.
tuxchick

May 21, 2008
7:30 AM EDT
As much as I hate to admit it, this piece almost makes sense. Evolution has been a non-stop progression of suckage to new suckage, and yes, how about making old things work right before loading up on new things that don't work either? I wonder if someone else wrote it, because it's uncharacteristically coherent.

jdixon

May 21, 2008
7:40 AM EDT
> Evolution has been a non-stop progression of suckage to new suckage...

Evolution has its problems, yes. But it does one thing none of the other gui email programs I've tried (except spruce, which is no longer maintained) have done. It interacts with an elm mailbox without insisting on rewriting the messages to its own mailbox. This means I can read my messages in elm normally and only open evolution when I need to view an html encoded message (fortunately rarely). I haven't found any other current email program which lets me do this. Both thunderbird and kmail insist on moving the mail to their own folder. I haven't tried sylpheed or claws recently, but I've had other problems with them in the past.
cjcox

May 21, 2008
9:13 AM EDT
A working Evolution will also allow you to talk to an Exchange server, but I agree that the functionality is broken on newer versions. But then again, Ubuntu isn't my primary distro.

However, I can appreciate the difficulties in have everything "working". A Linux based distribution tends to be quite large... having the knowledge to test everything is nearly impossible and then even worse if you have to have the knowledge to fix everything. Lots of dependence on the whole community... which is a good thing and arguable the only thing that can possible scale to the amount of software presented in a typical Linux distro.

dinotrac

May 21, 2008
9:31 AM EDT
cj --

Your comments on the difficulty of getting everything to work argues powerfully against the Ubuntu philosophy.

You recognize that things will be broken with every release. Fix broken things as they arise, and don't orphan the "last" baby. Any other approach dooms your users to a needlessly high level of bugs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!