as fair as the day is long! yep, boy howdy, yessireebob!

Story: OOXML vote was fair - MicrosoftTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 08, 2008
9:14 AM EDT
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from my favorite book, "Sometimes a Great Notion:"

Quoting: "All we want is our fair advantage."
NoDough

Apr 08, 2008
9:49 AM EDT
Actually, that reminds me of what a CEO I once worked for said. He said, "Most people call it a competitive advantage. That's not really what it is. I call it an unfair advantage."
vainrveenr

Apr 08, 2008
10:09 AM EDT
Also,

The attitude expressed within MS Tom Robertson's post-OOXML interview statements is eerily reminiscent of the WOLF's in Aesop's infamous fable 'The Wolf and the Crane'.

Quoting:The Wolf and the Crane

A WOLF who had a bone stuck in his throat hired a Crane, for a large sum, to put her head into his mouth and draw out the bone. When the Crane had extracted the bone and demanded the promised payment, the Wolf, grinning and grinding his teeth, exclaimed: "Why, you have surely already had a sufficient recompense, in having been permitted to draw out your head in safety from the mouth and jaws of a wolf."

In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.
( from http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?4&TheWolfandtheCra... )

Now what implicit and explicit "payments" did Microsoft promise those countries who voted Yes on MS's OOXML standard?

TxtEdMacs

Apr 08, 2008
10:32 AM EDT
Don't be too cynical. By Mafia standards it was. I ask you how many people went missing or had unfortunate accidents. See just a few, the statistics argue those were real accidents with no assists needed from the 20 floor and higher. Cynicism will rot your gut, get with the program and drink some Mono.
pipitas

Apr 08, 2008
12:34 PM EDT
“People who didn’t like the outcome are attacking the outcome,” and attacking how this outcome was forced to happen.

Of course. What else? So what?

It's not much different from Microsoft's stance: 'A company that does like the outcome is defending the outcome,' and keeping quiet about how it forced it to happen.

Why am I not surprised?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!