what is user friendly?

Story: KDE 4.1 to bring back Konqueror tree view, other goodiesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 18, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
Quoting: The tree view was originally omitted from the 4.0 release because it had to be completely rewritten using Interview, a model-view-controller framework for tree structures that was introduced in Qt 4.

Good, I'm glad to hear it was technical problems and not because KDE was infiltrated with Gnome developers.

Quoting: According to Penz, the commonly-requested feature will be restored in Konqueror, but not enabled by default in Dolphin, KDE's new user-friendly default file manager.

How is removing useful features "user-friendly"? If you can't do anything, that's not very friendly. Dolphin is a big fat PITA that takes twice as many steps to do routine, simple tasks. Big Crayola icons and reduced functionality are not my ideas of user-friendly.
tracyanne

Mar 18, 2008
3:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Big Crayola icons and reduced functionality are not my ideas of user-friendly.

Nor mine. As Linus said "treat users like idiots, and idiots will use your stuff."
Sander_Marechal

Mar 18, 2008
3:50 PM EDT
Quoting:Good, I'm glad to hear it was technical problems and not because KDE was infiltrated with Gnome developers.

Quit bashing Gnome. Nautilus has tree views. Had them for as long as I can remember.
dinotrac

Mar 18, 2008
9:03 PM EDT
>Quit bashing Gnome.

Gnomes are creepy little creatures. Using their creepy little creature desktop is not designed to instill warm fuzzies.

>Nautilus has tree views.

Big deal. So do my kitchen windows, and they make a lousy desktop.
thenixedreport

Mar 19, 2008
12:02 AM EDT
Man, what is with this GNOME bashing lately? GNOME ain't evil folks. I have used KDE, GNOME, and XFCE in addition to other interfaces that have their strengths and weaknesses.
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
4:44 AM EDT
>GNOME ain't evil folks

Yes it is. The desire to look like the GNOME-based Ubuntu led the Kubuntu folks to package a thoroughly crappy "KDE" based distribution.
thenixedreport

Mar 19, 2008
8:15 AM EDT
*sigh*

Quoting:The desire to look like the GNOME-based Ubuntu led the Kubuntu folks to package a thoroughly crappy "KDE" based distribution.

I don't know if that's a failed attempt of humor or what. I hope so.
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
12:42 PM EDT
>I don't know if that's a failed attempt of humor or what. I hope so.

I hadn't really thought of kubuntu that way.

Perhaps that explains it.

More like a failed attempt at a distribution.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!