tracyanne

Mar 18, 2008
11:40 PM EDT
signed
Libervis

Mar 19, 2008
5:02 AM EDT
Signed not.

This guy could do more good in FSF. OSI failed. "Open Source" failed, and Bruce himself admitted it.
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
5:24 AM EDT
Signed.

Sorry to see however, that we still have folks who just don't get what freedom is all about.

Hint:

Freedom is where I respect what you want to do as you follow your passions and your convictions, not what I think you should.

BTW - For those who may not know, Perens was one of the original founders of OSI.
Libervis

Mar 19, 2008
6:24 AM EDT
Er.. dinotrac, who are you talking to?

I respect what he wants to do as I respect who Bruce Perens is in general. That doesn't mean I have to sign this petition and that if I don't I'm somehow restricting his freedom..

I know Perens was one of the original founders and I know his original motivations, goals which haven't exactly been successfully pursued once ESR took the show and turned the initiative to spread freedom in a friendly way into an initiative that tells half the story of freedom, in the end turning people's attention away from it.

Bruce himself saw this and criticized that turn, and has spoke of freedom much more than ESR and company ever did. This is why IMHO I see him closer to FSF than OSI. You have a problem with that?
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
6:45 AM EDT
libervis -

Well now, isn't that a silly question. Only one person expressed anything that disrepected freedom and that one person was you.

>You have a problem with that?

That's the difference between us, I guess. Unlike you, I both understand and respect freedom. Therefore, you are completely free to view things as you do and to do or not do. If you don't want to sign the petition, that's fine.

If you oppose doing anything that might further the goals of the OSI, that's fine, too.

It's also possible that the initial expression of your view was simply an unfortunate choice of words -- although I doubt it.

If so, your logic's as bad as your word choice.

Perens did indeed see the problems with OSI and left it early on. He has indeed been a fighter for more freedom. But here's the thing: Perens is asking to get back on board. For whatever reason, he sees good to be done.

You think he's wrong. I get that.

gus3

Mar 19, 2008
8:09 AM EDT
Not signed, but only because I no longer sign online petitions.
tuxchick

Mar 19, 2008
9:30 AM EDT
I keep trying to make a clever pun from 'unsigned int'. But I can't.
NoDough

Mar 19, 2008
10:08 AM EDT
Quoting:Not signed, but only because I no longer sign online petitions.
Then perhaps you would like to sign this petition. http://www.petitiononline.com/papo/petition.html
Libervis

Mar 19, 2008
12:37 PM EDT
I seriously don't get what's wrong with you dinotrac. I said I wont sign it and expressed what I think about OSI and you jump on that as an an expression of disrespect towards freedom. WTF? Are you always looking for a fight where there's none or what?

You didn't like what I said, that's fine, now cool off. No need to turn this into a "I know better than you what is freedom" discussion cause it has nothing to do with it.

dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
12:39 PM EDT
Nodough - Cute.
dinotrac

Mar 19, 2008
12:40 PM EDT
Libervis -

Sure.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!