Untitled

Story: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in StoresTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
softwarejanitor

Mar 11, 2008
8:52 AM EDT
Weren't they sold out most of the time? You can't sell what you don't have on the shelf. Seems like they didn't give Linux a fair chance. Perhaps they got pressured by someone not to let the playing field be equal?
techiem2

Mar 11, 2008
8:57 AM EDT
yeah...I was just gonna say that.. I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling

Quoting:"This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.

with

Quoting:Wal-Mart sold out the in-store gPC inventory but decided not to restock, O'Brien said.
rijelkentaurus

Mar 11, 2008
9:39 AM EDT
Yeah, something's shady.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 11, 2008
2:37 PM EDT
I think the problem is gOS. It looks good on paper, but once you get neck-deep into it, you realize that it's far from ready -- especially for the average Wal-Mart customer. They need something that's got more features, a bigger user base and actual documentation. Standard Ubuntu, even with the "Web 2.0" window dressing of gOS, would've been a much better choice.
land0

Mar 11, 2008
8:51 PM EDT
So Gos needs to be forked maybe. Make it what it should be. You have to admit is is a really great foundation to build on. At least I think so. I wonder if a fork would gain it *buntu recognition?
Bob_Robertson

Mar 12, 2008
8:47 AM EDT
> "decided not to restock"

Yep. Follow the money.
gus3

Mar 12, 2008
9:08 AM EDT
Maybe they got so little feedback on it, because it actually works right?

Not bogged down with the DRM crapfest of XP or Vista.

Memo to Wal-Mart: Silence is golden!
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2008
2:40 PM EDT
I think going from well-known Windows to lesser-known Linux in general, or somewhat-known Ubuntu would've been a hard transition, but going to totally unknown gOS didn't help matters at all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!