This is for games what GoogleDocs is for office apps

Story: StreamMyGame New Supports LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
wolfchri

Jan 15, 2008
4:15 AM EDT
This is for games what GoogleDocs is for office apps.

The business model: You set up a server farm with all the latest and greatest games. You get a license that lets the game producer participate on the revenues to mitigate the costs. You give away the client for free.

Then you rent the games for a small fee per month.

And suddenly, a user does not need a strong PC anymore to play the latest and greatest. Nor does he need Vista or other jokes. You pay lets say 5 Euro a month and you can play all the games you ever wanted, even on Linux or your PSP or even the Asus EEE.

Folks, that rocks!

I hear Google calling their investment bankers....

(No, I am not involved in this project - but I really would like to be... )
jacog

Jan 15, 2008
4:38 AM EDT
Call me a cynic (hell, you can call me Susan if you want), but I can't imagine this even working well on a LAN, let alone the Internet.
azerthoth

Jan 15, 2008
4:58 AM EDT
A good solid wired LAN I can see, I have done something similar before when I was playing Neverwinter Nights. However it was to the exclusion of all other network traffic and the situation was not what one would call ideal.

The biggest drawback to this that they would have had to overcome is video bandwidth as I cant see them network loading a remote version of a game, a fully patched version of WoW for example weighs in at a hefty 4+ Gig. It will be interesting to see where this goes, If it does what it says it does I may well have to throw together a more powerful server, we'll see in time I guess.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 15, 2008
7:41 AM EDT
The problem isn't bandwidth (See FreeNX as proof that fast screen transfer is possible) but one of response time. Gamers buy high-precision laser mouses instead of infrared for that tiny bit extra precision. They get anal when their monitor only has a 4ms instead of 2ms response time. No way that they're going to settle for the response time that goes in the tens and hundreds of milliseconds that you get with remote viewing.
NoDough

Jan 15, 2008
7:42 AM EDT
I agree with Susan.
techiem2

Jan 15, 2008
8:42 AM EDT
Interesting. Guess I'll have to register on the site and give it a try between windows on my work laptop and my linux desktop. See if those windows games are playable...
ColonelPanik

Jan 15, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
techiem2 never returns.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 15, 2008
6:22 PM EDT
Such was the fate of techiem1....
techiem2

Jan 15, 2008
7:14 PM EDT
lol. Looks like it's gonna take a little work to get the linux client working.
hkwint

Jan 19, 2008
8:11 AM EDT
Mark, please share your experiences with us. You've been gaming for at least three consecutive days now!
techiem2

Jan 20, 2008
5:34 AM EDT
Sorry, been busy. Hopefully I'll have a chance to mess with it tonight. I get an error running the client from the console, but that might be normal (haven't seen anything on the site about it). Apparently I need to associate the client with firefox then test it with a game...
techiem2

Jan 20, 2008
4:35 PM EDT
Ok, I had to modify the config file to specify a font to use. Haven't got it actually working yet (client connects but never shows the video from the game)...course the fact that I don't really have much from the official supported games list doesn't help....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!