Author Content
ColonelPanik

Jan 10, 2008
2:46 PM EDT
I'll take one, blue please
Sander_Marechal

Jan 10, 2008
3:00 PM EDT
I like them a lot, but I really need a CD burner in my computer. Even in a cheap-ass surf box. How else am I going to burn those Linux ISOs? :-) The shuttle comes without a CD player or burner, which makes it unusable for me. Too bad because they look great!
hkwint

Jan 10, 2008
3:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Now else am I going to burn those Linux ISOs?

Not possible to have a CD-burner connected via USB, like USB floppy drives? If not, I hereby patent it, and release the patent in the public domain!
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2008
3:23 PM EDT
I have a 40x USB CD/DVD burner right next to me. Cost me US$70 and works faster than the one I built into my desktop.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 10, 2008
4:59 PM EDT
Add a couple of NICs (or a NIC with multiple connections), and IPCop/Smoothwall/WTFever, and you've a nice little firewall for a lot cheaper than a "real" firewall from a vendor like SonicWALL, Watchguard or Linksys/Cisco.
gus3

Jan 10, 2008
8:43 PM EDT
rijelkentaurus, take a look at one-NIC NAT. It uses an interface alias on the firewall, so the NIC is talking on two different sub-nets using the same Ethernet. I had one set up for three years on cable Internet, and speed tests between a one-NIC firewall and no firewall showed negligible slowdown. And really, what's an extra twenty seconds when downloading a Knoppix ISO?
tracyanne

Jan 10, 2008
10:28 PM EDT
Quoting: Not possible to have a CD-burner connected via USB

pardon, you are joking?

Sander_Marechal

Jan 10, 2008
11:32 PM EDT
@tracyanne: Yes, he was :-)
hkwint

Jan 11, 2008
3:50 AM EDT
In fact, I was not joking, but asking. Too lazy to find out for myself - that's what fellow LXer members are for, isn't it?
ColonelPanik

Jan 11, 2008
5:43 AM EDT
LXer - Sharing the abuse!

/sarcasm
rijelkentaurus

Jan 11, 2008
8:37 AM EDT
@gus3, thanks, I'll look into that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!