I pretty much agree.

Story: 2008: Not the year of the Linux desktopTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dinotrac

Jan 03, 2008
6:38 PM EDT
Like the author, I consider my first year of full-time Linux use (1998) to be the year of the Linux desktop.

As to the world at large, it ain't going to happen. Period. There will never be a year of the Linux desktop because there is no "desktop". There are TONS of different desktops, each with some personal oddity or another.

What is far more likely to happen is that people and businesses here and there start using Linux desktops for one reason or the other. Maybe it's price. Maybe it's power. Maybe it's curiosity. No matter.

Then, one year, somebody will look up and ask, "Did you see how many people are using Linux desktops these days?" The number might be only 5-10%, but it will catch somebody's eye.

THAT will turn out to be the year of the Linux desktop.

You and I will, of course, know better. We'll now that Linux just kept steaming along, picking up a user here, an application there, and growing without regard to marketing plans or pundits announcements.

The year of the Linux desktop will be nothing more than the year the world notices.
herzeleid

Jan 03, 2008
6:41 PM EDT
Right on dino -

For me, 1995 was the year of the linux desktop, and every year since.
azerthoth

Jan 03, 2008
7:41 PM EDT
Everyone waits for the *BANG*, it's linux's year. As Dino points out it's not one big bang but a whole lot of individual bangs. More like rust, once it starts it ends up getting everywhere and is nearly impossible to stop. It just doesn't happen over night.
Libervis

Jan 03, 2008
8:39 PM EDT
So far I haven't seen an article claiming that 2008 will be the year of the "Linux Desktop". I've seen optimistic predictions based on a year that really was likely the most successful for GNU/Linux in this area so far. And that I find completely reasonable.

So I think the author of this article goes a bit out of line just outright claiming how everyone is again spreading some sort of a conception of this being the year of the Linux desktop. He goes a bit too far.

That said, I agree on a personal level that magical year was the one I realized that I can use GNU/Linux as a primary OS on my computer - 2004. But then again, every year on I've seen its power and ease of use grow consistently. Every year I could claim how it reached a new stage. And 2007 was especially rich. From 3D desktop to Dell pre-installing GNU/Linux to various gadgets.

I have also seen reports of it almost tripling its market share and setting an accelerating course of adoption.

Bottom line. The author pushes it a bit too far because the optimistic articles that have been proliferating mostly base their optimism on what really was probably the most successful year for GNU/Linux so far and naturally projecting that this success will be further built on in 2008. Nothing wrong there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!