Mutual respect and game theory

Story: Unblocking Blockheads or, Some People Should Not Use Computers or, "The Marching Morons" Comes TrueTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
montezuma

Dec 31, 2007
5:57 AM EDT
Nice rant TC. I can completely relate (and I'm 50 too ;-)).

What really annoys me when I try to help someone is if they do not show me the courtesy of reading and trying to understand what I am saying. This happens all the time especially online where people don't bother to properly read posts. I think this shows a lack of respect. It is one thing to disagree with advice it is another altogether to ignore it and act like a baby starling with its beak open.

After much grinding of teeth on the Ubuntu forum I have adopted an approach which has been shown rigorously in game theory to produce the optimal outcome:

Always give someone the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of any interaction. Then as soon as any lack of respect becomes evident let them know kindly. If they then persist with lack of respect terminate the interaction rather rapidly.

I find the basic dynamic above reduces blood pressure and ends up helping those who can be helped.

mvermeer

Dec 31, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
You call it game theory. Looks to me like 'don't feed the troll'.
gus3

Dec 31, 2007
8:12 AM EDT
Quoting:Always give someone the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of any interaction. Then as soon as any lack of respect becomes evident let them know kindly. If they then persist with lack of respect terminate the interaction rather rapidly.
"Assume stupidity before malice."

And as soon as the malice becomes evident, act accordingly.
montezuma

Dec 31, 2007
8:57 AM EDT
Martin, I find it more irritating than trolling since the latter can always be quickly dismissed. Figuring out whether someone is genuine about learning takes interaction and time unfortunately hence the pretentious reference to game theory ;-)
happyfeet

Jan 08, 2008
10:08 AM EDT
@montezuma

Quoting: ...act like a baby starling with its beak open...

hehehe
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
11:14 AM EDT
Yes, but things can be taken a bit too far as well. I once heard a story of how a brilliant software developer was basically treated like they no longer existed because they couldn't understand the "no top posting" rule for the developer mailing list...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!