Songbird, Amarok, Banshee or ??? for iPod

Story: How To Manage An iPod From A Linux Desktop With Songbird 0.3Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 14, 2007
10:59 AM EDT
I'm pretty much ready to get rid of iTunes and manage my iPod with something open source.

Which app do you think I should use? I also use part of my iPod as a secondary data backup drive. Can I continue to do that with any of these apps?
herzeleid

Nov 14, 2007
11:03 AM EDT
For me, amarok is much nicer than itunes for managing the ipod. Itunes does have the convenient access to itms, but since amarok is much more convenient in every other respect, I can live without itms, because I either rip my own CDs, or buy mp3s from amazon.com or other linux-friendly vendors.

I mention amarok because I'm a kde guy - if you're a gnome guy, you'd probably want to use banshee; I don't have a lot of experience with banshee but it seems to be gnome's answer to kde's amarok.

Songbird seems to be worth checking out though...
NoDough

Nov 14, 2007
12:25 PM EDT
Steven,

This doesn't solve the proprietary problem, but I installed iTunes on my daughter's Dell Linux laptop for her. It took a couple of tries to get it working correctly, and it's not the newest version, but it works.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!