Untitled

Story: Fedora 8 sees strong adoption in first weekTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jkiv

Nov 13, 2007
5:37 PM EDT
With the release of Ubuntu 7.10 causing a huge stir in the online community recently, the release of Fedora 8 was well timed. I know I downloaded both, as Ubuntu 7.10 is a giant leap from the first couple Ubuntu releases and as Linux distros in general get better and better, to see if Fedora 8 took it a step further, beyond what 7.10 offered.

Perhaps many people were excited and felt the same way.
azerthoth

Nov 13, 2007
5:48 PM EDT
From a revue from a staunch Fedora user I know, she tried to like it, she wanted to like it, and in the end ... disposed of it. Since I am not a huge fan of Fedora or it's parent, to me that revue was just as much of a death sentence. No need to even spin it up in a VM for me.
jsusanka

Nov 13, 2007
6:19 PM EDT
I like fedora and corporations really need the stability long term support of RedHat but so do I. I realize fedora is a development cutting edge playground of sorts for redhat and the number of updates really show that is really the main purpose of the distribution.

I like fedora and I like installing it just to see where redhat is eventually headed but you really can't run it as a desktop or server and have any sort of stability or sanity. Thank goodness for debian, ubuntu LTS, and centos. those are the ones I would recommend if you are installing for say a school or some other place that can't handle the support costs of redhat.

Anyway congrats to the fedora gang on their latest release. here is to hoping for many more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!