gOS and Everex can do nothing but help

Story: Will distributions like gOS bring the masses to Linux?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 13, 2007
11:11 AM EDT
If -- and that's a big if -- the Everex box works -- and works well, it could do a lot for the cause of open-source software. Of course, the way it's configured, it can do a lot for Google, since many of the desktop icons point to Google services. I wonder if there's a financial relationship there.

But Everex (and by extension Wal-Mart) has one thing on their side. They can tune and configure the OS to the hardware, and (theoretically) like Apple make it work better.

I'm all about the low-end (your joke welcome here), and if then can manage to keep this $199 deal going, plus add a laptop, it could really shake things up.

The question: WWDD? (What will Dell do?) Dell pricing is so arcane, I have no idea what the "low end" for their Linux offering is.

Probably the best case, all-around, is that other PC makers, be they large or small, will feel they have to compete in the $199/box space and will roll out their own Linux-powered, low-spec hardware.
hkwint

Nov 13, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
Quoting:The question: WWDD? (What will Dell do?)

Hmm, my question is why we only seem to look at Dell like they're the 'leaders', when HP sells more laptops? Is Dell really that important? My guesses are HP, Dell, Sony, (Apple) and Toshiba (and the like) will continue to focus on the high-end market, and leave the low-end market to companies like Asus - with their Eee, Acer and companies like that.

So I hope the Everex laptop might compete with the Eee. On the other hand, I looked at their webpage (both the American and the Japanese one using Babelfish), and there isn't any sign they are going to sell a Linux-laptop. Maybe we should mail them? On the other hand, the Asus Eee also seemed to come out of the blue without too much pre-hype, so who knows what the other OEM's are planning. The Linux-UMPC's may also help, maybe there will be a product between the UMPC and the mini-laptop in the future.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 13, 2007
3:11 PM EDT
Quoting:On the other hand, the Asus Eee also seemed to come out of the blue without too much pre-hype

Actually, there was a *lot* of hype about the Eee. Mainly about it's $200 price. Somehow $200 seems to be an ideal price-point for a computer. The Eee, the gOS and many other small boxes.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 13, 2007
4:39 PM EDT
Quoting: Somehow $200 seems to be an ideal price-point for a computer. The Eee, the gOS and many other small boxes.

I'd like to see something on the high end, boo-teek-ish like an Apple, that runs Linux, Linux only and is configured for that hardware. I don't mean a closed system, but one that works like a charm by default the moment you open the box. Fedora worked absolutely flawlessly on my Vostro 1700 (100% flawlessly, absolutely perfect!), it might be a good choice for the OS...perhaps a nice little partnership between Red Hat and Sun to produce the perfect Linux machine? Or, if Indiana works out, I suspect Sun might try that with Solaris.

But $200 is still a great price for a document writer/email viewer/web browser. I bet it even plays solitaire flawlessly (100% flawlessly, absolutely perfect!). That's very important.
hkwint

Nov 14, 2007
4:50 AM EDT
Quoting:Actually, there was a *lot* of hype about the Eee.

Okay, than I must have been under my rock at that moment(s).
jezuch

Nov 14, 2007
2:41 PM EDT
Quoting:Okay, than I must have been under my rock at that moment(s).

Mee too. Maybe that's because there's no WalMart in my country ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!