All right, then.

Story: The Fourth ‘Patent Deal’ was with Europe… and the Sixth Deal That Won’t beTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
dinotrac

Oct 24, 2007
12:43 PM EDT
Let's all boycott Europe.
tuxchick

Oct 24, 2007
12:44 PM EDT
Give up good wine and chocolate? Not on your life, you hippie liberal eco-freak!!
dinotrac

Oct 24, 2007
12:50 PM EDT
>Give up good wine and chocolate?

You are SOOOOOOOOO out of date.

Great wine comes straight from California, and pretty good stuff comes for lots of other places, including Texas, Chile, and Australia.

As to Chocolate ---

Well, the stuff originates in South America and I can buy really nice confections made fresh at the shop down the street.

So long as I don't need any original equipment parts for the Volvo, I should be ok.

tracyanne

Oct 24, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Great wine comes straight from California, and pretty good stuff comes for lots of other places, including Texas, Chile, and Australia.

swap the first and last, and you've got it right.
dinotrac

Oct 24, 2007
2:40 PM EDT
> swap the first and last, and you've got it right.

Are we being just a tad provincial, here?

Seriously, though, I'm told that the best Australian wine never makes it into the States. Yet another reason for a trip down under.

If only the dollar were stronger. And I had a few.
jdixon

Oct 24, 2007
5:25 PM EDT
> swap the first and last, and you've got it right.

Like Dino, I suspect that Australia keeps their best wines for themselves and that the Aussie stuff you can get here is second rate.

Also like him, my wife and I would love to visit Australia some day. No idea when that may be though, but probably after retirement.
schestowitz

Oct 24, 2007
6:38 PM EDT
> Let's all boycott Europe.

*LOL* No, no boycott, but FFII and APRIL now pressure the Commission to change its mind, using presss releases. Speaking of wine, I suppose you know that the patent deals target Wine.
dinotrac

Oct 24, 2007
7:31 PM EDT
>I suppose you know that the patent deals target Wine.

I find that an odd sort of mis-statement. As I understand it, the patent deals exclude Wine from their coverage. That may mean that Microsoft is targetting Wine, but the deals themselves do not target Wine because, well -- they can't.
tracyanne

Oct 24, 2007
7:38 PM EDT
Quoting:Like Dino, I suspect that Australia keeps their best wines for themselves and that the Aussie stuff you can get here is second rate.

We do the same with our beer, that's why you can get Fosters anywhere in the world.
tuxchick

Oct 24, 2007
7:56 PM EDT
Fosters isn't so bad. A bit bland, but a shot of cheap tequila takes care of that.
tracyanne

Oct 24, 2007
7:59 PM EDT
Quoting:Fosters isn't so bad.

When you have no choice, that and some cheap tequila, it's pretty good.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 25, 2007
12:08 AM EDT
I say we boycott the Moon, it deserves it anyway.

Stupid Moon.

I wish Jim were here..he gets my jokes..

:-)
Bob_Robertson

Oct 25, 2007
10:49 AM EDT
> Seriously, though, I'm told that the best Australian wine never makes it into the States.

My local market has an Australian wine called "Fish Eye". Their Cabernet is actually quite good, at $12 for 1.5L.

Ok, it's not from a box, but I'm not _that_ cheap.

> If only the dollar were stronger.

Argh! Must...Resist...Attack...On...Criminal...Federal...Reserve...system...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul410.html

Ok TC, I couldn't do it. But at least I found a very good article on the problem by an excellent writer.

tuxchick

Oct 25, 2007
10:57 AM EDT
No prob, I'm swilling a bottle of Jacob's Creek Shiraz and at peace with the world. No, I'm not sharing! Mine!
softwarejanitor

Oct 25, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
> We do the same with our beer, that's why you can get Fosters anywhere in the world.

Not really. The "Fosters" you can buy in the US isn't even made in Australia, it is made by Molson (a.k.a Coors) in Canada.

On the other hand you can buy Cooper's that is much better than Foster's (and actually made in Australia) at several places here in the Austin, TX area.
montezuma

Oct 25, 2007
12:13 PM EDT
Arghh y'not fair dinkum unless its VB (Victoria Bitter). Coopers is Yuppy P...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!