So, when did this start?

Story: OpenProj Review: An OSS Alternative to Microsoft ProjectTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
jdixon

Sep 24, 2007
11:27 AM EDT
A quick look on their sourceforge site shows that the first entry is for beta 2, which was put up on Aug. 6, 2007. The current version is beta 4, which was put up on Sept. 6, 2007. Has anyone heard of this before now? If so, what do you think?

Given that the review is by Hartley, I assume it's not worth reading, so I thought I'd ask some folks whose ideas have proven worth listening to in the past. :)
herzeleid

Sep 24, 2007
11:56 AM EDT
I was at linuxworld in sf last month, and Dell was demoing openproj on ubuntu - very slick, it just worked, and seems to do everything the $1000 ms project does, including import/export of ms project files.

tracyanne

Sep 24, 2007
1:55 PM EDT
It looks almost exactly like Microsoft project. For anyone who has used MS Project, the learning curve on this should be zero.
tracyanne

Sep 24, 2007
2:22 PM EDT
This is the sort of thing FOSS projects should be aiming for if they want to move MS user/developers to Linux and FOSS, no brainer transitions.
jdixon

Sep 24, 2007
3:57 PM EDT
OK. It sounds great. Up to now, I haven't had an answer for those who ask, "Is there an equivalent to Microsoft Project?" One more arrow in the quiver. :)
tuxchick

Sep 24, 2007
6:50 PM EDT
You mean real people use MS Project? And there is a FOSS equivalent? *shudder* What's next, making FOSS clones of Lookout and Aieee?
jdixon

Sep 24, 2007
7:04 PM EDT
> What's next, making FOSS clones of Lookout and Aieee?

Aren't those Evolution and IEs4Linux?
tracyanne

Sep 24, 2007
7:30 PM EDT
{quote]What's next, making FOSS clones of Lookout and Aieee?[/quote]

I thought Evolution and Firefox were the recommended replacement.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
2:28 AM EDT
> were the recommended replacement.

Replacement does not equal clone.

Firefox vastly improves on IE. Evolution slightly improves on Outllook. IEs4Linux is a simple install of IE via wine, so there's no improvement. I can't speak to whether Openproj is an improvement on Project or not, as I've never used Project.
tracyanne

Sep 25, 2007
3:53 AM EDT
Quoting:I can't speak to whether Openproj is an improvement on Project or not, as I've never used Project.

I can't say whether OpenProj is either, having only had a look at the UI. In spite of Carla's comments about MS Project, MS project is a quite decent project management application. It's designed to handle small teams on small to medium sized projects, and within those constraints works quite well. If OpenProj can do that, then it's a viable replacement for MS Project that happens to run on Linux. On the other hand there is also Planner, which, as far as I can tell is designed to work within the same constraints.
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
5:01 AM EDT
> On the other hand there is also Planner...

I don't think Planner can import and export Project's files. That's important for those who have used Project in the past or need to work with those who do.
jezuch

Sep 25, 2007
7:01 AM EDT
Quoting:I can't speak to whether Openproj is an improvement on Project or not, as I've never used Project.

I used it for a few hours during an Operations Research class. I remember it as a "tool for drawing Gantt charts", with some basic analysis ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!