New story! The Open Source Challenge. How to replace Windows

Story: The Open Source Challenge. How to replace Windows completely with Ubuntu.Total Replies: 3
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Sep 17, 2007
5:09 AM EDT
Done. My wife has made the switch and gets everything done in Linux. Doing course design for an on line university and high school. Multimedia stuff works great. File transfers, great. Many hours of phone conferences via VoIP, without a flaw.

Mr. Mills had some glitches, yes, there are some bumps in the road. But with just a little googling they get smoothed out.

This is one of the best "migration" articles I have read, share it.
nalf38

Sep 17, 2007
10:17 AM EDT
What I didn't like about the article is that the majority of problems he encountered all fell under 'installation,' in my opinion, and finding the right app for the job, one that will do it right the first time. Getting DVD/mp3/wma/flash/cameras/printing working, despite the OS philosophy, should be part of the OS installation, and there are distributions out there that do it right the first time without having to futz around finding codecs etc.
henke54

Sep 17, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42397

;-)
herzeleid

Sep 17, 2007
4:15 PM EDT
henke54: Very cool story - thanks for the link

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!