Its Crazy Good

Story: VirtualBox 1.5: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Total Replies: 5
Author Content
azerthoth

Sep 09, 2007
1:09 PM EDT
OK, windows at all is not crazy good. However since I'm always running up VM's to test out new distros I thought I would give this a whirl. I cant describe how insane it is to have both my fluxbox startbar and a windows XP start bar, both set to autohide, come up depending on where I put my mouse.

When they say seamless integration, as far as desktop goes they aren't kidding at all. This is the smoothest integrated virtualization I have seen yet. If your even remotely interested in playing with VM's I highly suggest you give virtualbox 1.5 a try.
nalf38

Sep 09, 2007
7:08 PM EDT
It *is* great. I would, however, like to confirm those two very big caveats which the article mentions. Virtualbox VMs crash randomly on systems with the tickless HZ enabled, which I do for longer laptop sleep times. And seamless mode doesn't work with Compiz Fusion.

I don't really mind if I get seamless or not, but turning off the nohz setting isn't really an option for me. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually, but until then it's vmplayer for me.
azerthoth

Sep 09, 2007
7:12 PM EDT
Your drawback are what makes it fine for me, I dont use compiz/fusion or Beryl and I dont use a tickless kernel. Seeing those Windows windows on my desktop sure feels wierd though. But I can finally sync my PDA and not have to just shuffle files to it via http://FTP.
nalf38

Sep 09, 2007
7:29 PM EDT
Yeah, I understand the PDA thing. I still can't sync my Newton to my linux lappy, and I was hoping to use Vbox to do it because there are windows tools for syncing the newton. I can use Basilisk to sync, sort of. Serial port handshaking is incomplete in the Basilisk code, and after the newton is done syncing and disconnects, the Basilisk machine freezes every time.

Anyhoo, I have to reiterate how impressed I am with the new version, problems aside. It's so amazingly easy to set up a virtual machine in vbox, and it's speedy.
herzeleid

Sep 10, 2007
1:00 PM EDT
azerthoth - what distro/kernel are you running vbox on?
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2007
1:12 PM EDT
You know, I guess I missed the boat on VMWare and the like.

I have dual booted XP and Linux but for three years now I have chosen to boot into just Linux..not through XP.

I need to check it out regardless but I am dual booting XP and the latest Debian on desktop and dual booting XP and OpenSuSE 10.2 on my laptop.

I haven't used either of my XP's seriously..ever.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!